Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Which locking wheel nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2002, 09:47 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

As my '02WRX is a Euro import it didn't come with locking wheel nuts.
Can anyone recommend a good set?

The std ones I've seen fitted to UK cars look like the cheap aftermarket ones I had a few years ago...

Don't know how much decent ones are, was thinking of a £50 budget for them...is that about right?

When I had the 1k service, the dealer offered to sell me some for £15...the cheap price made me think cheap quality so didn't bother.

Cheers,

BOB
Old 19 March 2002, 09:58 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Bob - Got two separate sets for mine. First set in North Wales (I was on my travels, rather than just running in or finding a set that the thieving scum hadn't got a key for), and second set in Chesterfield.

Funnily enough, even though they are Scoob dealer stuff, both are a different design. The first (older) set have a cheap cap that fits over a three holed nut, while the second (yup, newer) set have a strange wiggly sort of puzzle. Funnily enough, these are just like the wife's Renault MPV ones.

Both seem to work as well as each other.....

Cheers, H.
Old 19 March 2002, 10:11 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Hi Harry

The 3 hole cap covered ones are what I've seen...they have a habit of shearing off the pegs on the tool, but are harder for scumbags to get off.
Have seen other types that have an irregular shape to them, sort of like an uneven 10 pointed star with wavy edge(?) A problem I've found with this sort,if you lose the tool, you can hammer on an oversized socket onto the nut and under it like normal, I had to do this lots when I was in the motor trade and customers had "lost" the tool, easy to do...so a theif could nick your wheels by the same method...
Wondered if there was any up market ones available?

If not, its the 3holed option for fifteen squids

Cheers,

BOB
Old 19 March 2002, 10:32 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Bob

Was in the same boat as you this morning. Have a look at http://www.autoexpress.co.uk
Go to product tests & then locking wheel nuts. The McGuards get the best vote as they are the strongest. Went to my local Subaru dealer to see which they sell & found out that they sell McGuards for £17. Not bad going & the threads are excellent. Well worth the buy as other places are selling them for £30+. BTW the ones the dealer sells are the Mcguard ultra high.

Price: £29.99

This latest effort from McGard's is the result of some serious research and development, which has paid off handsomely. Granted, we know how the locks work - but only because we used heavy-duty power tools on a bench to find out. On the car, though, the hardened shroud rendered both steel and alloy wheel removal impossible. Creating a master key was a non-starter.

[Edited by BL - 3/19/2002 10:34:19 PM]
Old 19 March 2002, 10:45 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Bob,

Thanks, think I'll check them out.
When the car was in for its 1k service, the guy asked me if I knew that my car didn't have locking wheel nuts fitted...said he could sell me some for £15, said thanks but no thanks... Didn't even bother to find out what type they were...

Cheers

BOB
Old 20 March 2002, 11:04 AM
evo kid
Scooby Regular

Do not fit the tri-pin type ,as some one has already said the pins have a habit of shearing off (mine have )and making a new key is quite easy , had to make my own as car flow products that own tri-locks have gone bust and replacment keys are harder to get hold of now .

Demon tweeks broke my key when they were cheaking my valves , and one of the lads went in to the back and returned with a large lin-bin full of broken tri-lock keys ,to see if any would fit.
But all the keys were knackered so i would not let them use them incase a pin broke off and got stuck in the nut as they are hardened and impossable to drill out.
Old 20 March 2002, 12:10 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Bob

When you go to the dealer, the wheel nuts ive got actually have mcguard engraved on them & have a funny shape thread.

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2002, 12:24 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Buy Subaru's own type, i have them on my MY01 and they are the Mcguard model and at £15 they are unbeatable,look good too in chrome.

Zippy
Old 20 March 2002, 03:21 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Looks like I will have to pay the dealer a visit...
Will see if I can get a set for free seeing as they put duff oil in on the service

Cheers guy's

BOB

PS. Just one more thing, does anyone know difference between the standard McGard and the Ultra High Security McGard type? Autoexpress found the UHS version to be best, similar price too, so would prefer that type, don't mind paying more for them if I can find them.
Thanks again
Old 20 March 2002, 04:00 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Bob

Not sure on what the difference is, but i know they are UHG due to the length of the nuts.

BTW they are £17.50 in the Subaru catalogue, so i dont know where the £15 came from!!
Old 20 March 2002, 05:45 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Its called discount, never pay what they ask without haggling a little i havent payed full price for anything from Subaru, it works for me.

Zippy