a couple of brake fitting questions

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2009, 12:19 PM
docpaul
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question a couple of brake fitting questions

Hello all,

I'm half way a hose, disk and pad upgrade on my MY99 Impreza Turbo and I've run into a couple of snags:

1) There are two different types of hoses in the kit, one with a straight end (that connects to the calliper) and one with a slight angle. As both the original front and rear hoses have an angle, should the new ones with the angle fit on the front or rear? It looks like they should be on the front but I can't see that it matters. I thought I'd ask before putting it all back together.

2) The rear pads are refusing to fit correctly, preventing me from re-fitting the callipers. The new ones have a wear sensor (bent bit of metal) that seem to interfere with the shim from the old pads (perhaps I should not use the shims)

3) on the drivers side rear I can't get either pad in. The clips are clean and I can't see an obstruction, perhaps it's just the paint on the new pads, should I file the lugs down?

Stuck at the moment and booked for an MOT this afternoon so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

Last edited by docpaul; 30 October 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 30 October 2009, 12:48 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the rear lines are slightly angled and should be slightly longer.................

as for the pads are they defiantely the correct fitment as there is a variation between pre98 and 99 cars??

could simply be that on some cheaper pads they aren't quite coated / machined correctly and you simply need to file to fit??
pix might help

alyn
Old 30 October 2009, 12:51 PM
docpaul
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by stockcar
the rear lines are slightly angled and should be slightly longer.................
many thanks for that, I can now go and fit the hoses and at least get the front back together and the system full of fluid and bled..

I'll take a closer look at the pads and take some pics if I'm still stuck.

again, thanks for the quick reply.