Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Classic Wagon Performance Upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2009, 01:17 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Classic Wagon Performance Upgrades??

Hi guys,

I'm a noob with scoobs and never fitted replacement brakes either. I bought a s/h 98 non-turbo wagon (don't know if UK or JDM - probably UK) and looking for some projects to improve it a little. I've given the car a full service and apart from the clutch still to do I thought the most worthwhile improvement would be to the brakes. I want to keep the cost and complexity as low as possible so no crazy stuff! As far as I know everything is bog standard, possibly 15" alloys? All I know about the brakes is there is a drum on the back (although I think there is a disc inside it??) and discs at the front. I COULD change the pads, that might help, but I've been in a few heart racing quick stops and I really don't think the brake system's any good. I thought I could upgrade something to make it better - but what?

BTW What are 2-pots, 4-pots etc and why are they called this?
Old 12 October 2009, 03:10 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

"Pots" refers to the number of pistons in a caliper.

If you want to keep the costs low, fit some decent discs, pads, lines and fluid. The next step up would involve changing calipers and poss your wheels.
Old 12 October 2009, 08:15 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
"Pots" refers to the number of pistons in a caliper.

If you want to keep the costs low, fit some decent discs, pads, lines and fluid. The next step up would involve changing calipers and poss your wheels.
Thanks, could you explain what kind of brakes I have right now then? As I said, standard throughout to my knowledge. First impressions, I would have thought new pads, lines and fluid would have a minimal effect - I know less about discs though - what are your thoughts on this? I would have thought that for the amount of effort it would take to replace the discs with new and the lines too, it sounds like a lot of work for not much return. Perhaps I'd be better replacing the calipers? Or is there anything I can do to the rear wheels? If I was to change the discs what would I go for, and the same for the lines...?
I wouldn't want to go so far as changing the wheels, although I would consider the rest.
Thanks again.
Old 19 October 2009, 01:44 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

I took the drums apart at the weekend to see what I had and found the shoes were between 2 and 3mm approx so I assume they're due for a change. The inner face of the drum was in good condition but the rim was falling apart with rust. The rim of the hub (where they meet) was also very rusty. The flexi and copper tubes seemed to be in good nick although all the bolts in that area were welded solid with rust and would need to be fully replaced if I started tinkering. Assuming that's representative of both sides what would be the best thing to do? What would give the best performance improvement for the lowest cost and hassle?
Old 01 March 2010, 01:21 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Hi guys

following a major delay I've finally decided to get the brakes done! I'm still a bit stuck though over what parts to choose and I'd really appreciate a simple walk through along with a list of all the bits you think I might have to change. The rust has taken hold and I suspect there will be a lot of bits I have to cut off along with new braided brake hoses, so I might need new pipe fittings, nuts, bolts, wheel hub, split pins etc. Everything has to be ready to go as I can't afford to have the car off the roads!

Thanks