Brakes - Best Options - Long Post Warning

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2009, 12:52 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brakes - Best Options - Long Post Warning

Hi Guys,

Brakes again – I know it’s been done to death etc but I have got a few questions for you.

What would be the best brake set for me?

Currently I have got factory original discs with Pagid 4-2-1 pads all round. My disc’s are getting a bit warn now so I want look at the options for upgrading. I have never been happy with the Pagid pads since they were fitted. Don’t get me wrong they bite well but they squeal like a pig being raped by a horse constantly, especially at low speeds round town. They have done so for the past 2 years that they have been fitted so I want to replace them as well.

Now I don’t go mad with my brakes and have never experienced brake fad, either because I don’t drive hard enough or because in fact the uprated but noisy pads have been doing their job. I just want a decent set up with good bite that don’t squeal. I am however considering a track day next year so they may be worth thinking about, although I doubt it will become a regular thing. So with that in mind what would be the best option for me and my car which is a 2003 STi Type UK (4 Pot Brembo’s):

Option 1 – Back to OEM pads and disks, this was what was fitted to the car when I first got and didn’t really notice an issue the pads were replaced after a month of ownership.
But I have had massively different prices from a ridicules £800+ from one garage to £150 of the internet, what sort of price is a fair price for genuine/OEM front disc and pad? One price seems too high, the other too cheap.

Option 2 – OEM disks with uprated pads, but which pads, I have searched and read good reviews of the Ferodo DS2500 pads but am a little concerned that I will spend out on uprated pads and end up with pig brakes again.
With this option there is always the possibility of uprating the discs at a later date as well I guess. But is there any really benefit in having just uprated pads and standard discs?

Option 3 – “Lower end” after market products. Such as EBC disc and pads but I have read mixed reviews about EBC and I seem to have an image of poor quality towards EBC, don’t know why I have this perception as I never used one of their products, perhaps its because every kid in Max Power seems to love EBC? Are EBC in fact good? Or should they be avaioded?

Option 4 – Performance Friction Disc and Ferodo DS2500 pads. From what I can read these seem to be very highly rated, although also very expensive. Is the expense justified, what benefits does the PF set up actually give and will I notice it as an average driver on the road? Or is the benefit only noticeable on a track? Also do the grooves and dimples make the set up noisy at all?

Option 5 – Something else, please suggest – but why would this option be better than any of the above?

Sorry for all the questions (at the ridiculously long post) just trying to full understand all my options before parting with potentially a lot of hard earned.

Cheers

Chris
Old 23 September 2009, 12:55 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i think you need to decide if you gonna get more into track days as a whole. if so then ap 6pots are by far your best option.

if not then option 4, brakes are the only thing, except a wall, that stops you.

like tyres being the only thing touching the road. cheap stuff will fail when you need it the most

Last edited by Tidgy; 23 September 2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 23 September 2009, 01:13 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
i think you need to decide if you gonna get more into track days as a whole. if so then ap 6pots are by far your best option.

if not then option 4, brakes are the only thing, except a wall, that stops you.

like tyres being the only thing touching the road. cheap stuff will fail when you need it the most
Defiantly won’t be doing lots of track days. One a year maybe.

But what makes the PF and DS2500 setup so good? Is it just a resistance to brake fade or will they pull up quicker too? As I have said I have never experienced brake fad in the Impreza, would the extra outlay be worth it in this instance?
99% of my driving will be road driving with the odd blast. Only a very small amount of driving will be on a track day....and since I have never done a track day before I doubt I will be pushing that hard
Old 23 September 2009, 01:57 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hi Chirs,

Give me a call on 01462 488244 for a chat and options
Old 23 September 2009, 06:23 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Hi Chirs,

Give me a call on 01462 488244 for a chat and options
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the offer, in fact i have been looking at your website to get some rough ideas of pricing.

What are your normal hours of trading? i can call on Friday afternoon if your open, really busy at work tomorrow from early till late.
Old 23 September 2009, 06:28 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

10am-6pm is the best time to catch me. There is someone here to take messages etc from 8.30am though.

I look forward to speaking to you on Friday
Old 23 September 2009, 06:35 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
10am-6pm is the best time to catch me. There is someone here to take messages etc from 8.30am though.

I look forward to speaking to you on Friday
Excellent, be prepared for some stupid questions
Old 23 September 2009, 07:29 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

For my needs, I'd never buy anything other than PF discs and pads but for normal road use it might be a little overkill. I do alot of track days and PF have exceeded my expectations both in performance and longevity. My current discs have lasted numerous trackdays and almost 400 laps of the Nurburgring in the past 18 months. Z pads are great on the road and for occasional track, 01 pads are epically good on track but chew discs on the road.

If you're just using it for road use I'd probably keep the OEM discs and maybe run DS2500 or PF Z pads.
Old 23 September 2009, 07:32 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Cockney Wideboy. Recognise the name from your car being on the front page!

Read my post here about OE vs DS2500
https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...ds-ds2500.html

I was running ebay special grooved disks (130 quid for all 4). However i cracked the front two badly at bovington (no brake warm up or cool down). Apart from that they lasted a good 3/4 track days without issue. They replaced the disks for free for me.
Old 23 September 2009, 10:12 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark1983
For my needs, I'd never buy anything other than PF discs and pads but for normal road use it might be a little overkill. I do alot of track days and PF have exceeded my expectations both in performance and longevity. My current discs have lasted numerous trackdays and almost 400 laps of the Nurburgring in the past 18 months. Z pads are great on the road and for occasional track, 01 pads are epically good on track but chew discs on the road.

If you're just using it for road use I'd probably keep the OEM discs and maybe run DS2500 or PF Z pads.
I defiantly won't be doing that many track days....so perhaps a full PF setup would be a bit over kill....I tend to go for a spirited drive in the peak district from time to time which is the only time I use the brakes "hard" and even then I will only be giving the brakes stick for 10 to 15minutes at a time and not every corner is a 90Degree right hander after a long straight so the amount of braking varies during that time. The rest of the time I drive to work like little miss daisy.

Originally Posted by scoobyc
Hi Cockney Wideboy. Recognise the name from your car being on the front page!

Read my post here about OE vs DS2500
https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...ds-ds2500.html

I was running ebay special grooved disks (130 quid for all 4). However i cracked the front two badly at bovington (no brake warm up or cool down). Apart from that they lasted a good 3/4 track days without issue. They replaced the disks for free for me.
Quick put the lid back on the can of worms I'm still getting hate mail about that

Interesting read, thanks for the link. For what I use the car for OEM discs with top quality pads seems a good option.....although what is this combination like from a noisy point of view? I was lead to believe that the Pagid 4-2-1 pads were quiet I have never had such noisy brakes in all my life....i'm now paranoid that all uprated pads squeal like little miss piggy constantly
Old 24 September 2009, 12:03 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if your driving in the peaks then def the option i mentioned. i'm pretty often in the area myself and you can heat them up very well indeed lol

as you say your not going to do lots of track days then option 4 is the best one. not worth scrimping on it.
Old 24 September 2009, 08:05 AM
Richie856
Scooby Regular

I'm running DS2500's on OEM discs on my WRX and they've been good. Noticed the difference and it was a good wee upgrade before I was thinking about forking out for better discs as well.

Never had any squealing from the DS's either.
Old 24 September 2009, 08:49 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

with brakes (as with lots of things) its what suits yourself/driving style rather than anyone else that is important
as a general rule the likes of Pagid rs4.2.1, Ferodo ds2500, etc. are pretty reasonable noise wise however on the Brembo equipped cars in particular you can suffer from a build up of pad debris that WILL cause noise problems regardless of manufacturer.............

from what you have said i would personally recomend a good quality replacement disc with a similiar pad to what your using now as that has done exactly what you require it to

alyn
Old 24 September 2009, 01:42 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cockney Wideboy
Excellent, be prepared for some stupid questions
Anytime
Old 25 September 2009, 04:48 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your input on the to help me make an informed decision, especially Bob at Aztec performance who has had me bending his ear for nearly 25mins.
Top bloke and very knowledgeable and helpful Would defiantly recommend giving him a call if your a little unsure of what’s best for you/your car...even after taking 25mins of his time there was absolutely no pressure to place and order there and then, or even order from them at all. IMO excellent customer service and the way forward to win customers

So the verdict: Option5 - something slightly different

After reading all the replies on here and speaking with Bob I have just ordered a set of uprated grooved disc as opposed to the OEM disc. For the time being i'm keeping the Pagid pads to see how they like the uprated discs, there is still quite a lot meat left on them so just need to ensure they are worn evenly.
Also been told to make sure the "shim" plates are in place, give them a good clean to make sure there is no debris causing them to be noisey and put some more cooper grease in place. I think its agreed that they shouldn't be as noisy as they are (they really do make the car sound like a 1950’s bus when pulling up in traffic).

If i'm still not happy with the Pagid pads then they will be swapped for a set of Performance Friction Z pads.

I believe this route is right for me as it offers a good middle ground between a full PF set up and a completely OEM setup which should be all I need but there is a clear upgrade route in the future should track days start becoming a regular thing...of which I’m doubtful TBH, one a year at the very very best.

New dics arrive on Tuesday so hopefully by next weekend they will be fitted

Although another stupid question, is there a bedding in period for disc's as with pads? anyone would think I have never had a car before

Thanks again guys
Old 26 September 2009, 08:12 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I think you'll find the noise is because you're not using the pads hard enough and as Alyn mentioned its a buildup of deposits on the disk. A few big stops help clean them off.

Good decision (and advice) to stick with the pads and uprating the disks, now to bed them in properly. I'm sure people have different views on this, but I take it easy for 50-100 miles, then take it to a empty D/C and do 5 or so 70mph-20mph stops at 50% braking force, one after the other without stopping, then drive around fo a bit to let them cool - then another 5 stops 70-20 at 75% force, then cool them down (still not stopping) then finally a few 70-20 emergency stops (perhaps from higher speed if permissable) with a cool down period inbetween each one.

I do this when I change either disk or pads, works for me!

Last edited by Jay m A; 26 September 2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 29 September 2009, 12:24 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Disc's arrived today.....Look very smart

I will hopefully get time to fit them on the weekend, where is the best place to get new brake shims from? I can't remember if any were fitted the last time the brake pads were changed (I’m thinking not) so want to get some more.

Is the dealership the best bet? are they stock items?

Originally Posted by Jay m A
I think you'll find the noise is because you're not using the pads hard enough and as Alyn mentioned its a buildup of deposits on the disk. A few big stops help clean them off.

Good decision (and advice) to stick with the pads and uprating the disks, now to bed them in properly. I'm sure people have different views on this, but I take it easy for 50-100 miles, then take it to a empty D/C and do 5 or so 70mph-20mph stops at 50% braking force, one after the other without stopping, then drive around fo a bit to let them cool - then another 5 stops 70-20 at 75% force, then cool them down (still not stopping) then finally a few 70-20 emergency stops (perhaps from higher speed if permissable) with a cool down period inbetween each one.

I do this when I change either disk or pads, works for me!
Cheers for the reply, I’ve only ever fitted disc and pads together which obviously have a "bedding" in period, wasn't sure if the same applied to replacing disc's only...but makes sense that nay new part should be bedded in.
Old 29 September 2009, 01:34 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Disc's arrived today.....Look very smart

I will hopefully get time to fit them on the weekend, where is the best place to get new brake shims from? I can't remember if any were fitted the last time the brake pads were changed (I’m thinking not) so want to get some more.

Is the dealership the best bet? are they stock items?

Cheers for the reply, I’ve only ever fitted disc and pads together which obviously have a "bedding" in period, wasn't sure if the same applied to replacing disc's only...but makes sense that nay new part should be bedded in.
Sorry if I've missed it, but what discs did you go for in the finish?
Old 29 September 2009, 03:15 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

They are smart aren't they!

Shims available from your local dealer. When bedding the discs, take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles then start to put some heat into them. Make sure you don't come to a complete stop or stand on the brakes when you are doing it.

Check your old pads are evenly worn and not glazed.

Enjoy! Nice chatting to you.
Old 30 September 2009, 01:27 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Sorry if I've missed it, but what discs did you go for in the finish?
A set of ours PM or call 01462 488244
Old 01 October 2009, 10:08 AM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

As Bob says, I ordered a set of their uprated grooved discs, no branding on them so I don't know who makes them but they look smart.

Although Bob, had no invoice/receipt through yet? Guessing it will be sent to the billing address rather than the delivery address? Could you just check that it was sent out for me please...just want to keep for my records.

Also popped into my local dealership and got some shims today....was a bit shocked at the price at £50 for the 4 (two inners and two outers)

no wonder they were giving me prices of £600+ for a set of OEM disc at those prices
Old 01 October 2009, 03:17 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Just send me your email address and I will send you over an invoice
Old 02 October 2009, 08:08 AM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

As Bob says, I ordered a set of their uprated grooved discs, no branding on them so I don't know who makes them

think i would at least like to know what brand of discs I'm putting on my car
Old 02 October 2009, 09:26 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamevilhomer
think i would at least like to know what brand of discs I'm putting on my car
Thats a fair point.
Having said that - have you seen the quality of the OEM rubbish once removed from the car.
The ones I took off the front my 06 STI were just two pieces of cast sh1te.
That was after about 45K.
Old 04 October 2009, 10:18 AM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

I was looking for something that was equal or slightly better than OEM which these are, who makes the OEM parts anyhow? Subaru certainly wont...Maybe Bob will be able to confirm who actually makes these discs? Either way I’m happy with the Disc.
I can however see you point regarding branding as I don't stick cheap **** tyres on the car and nor will I put cheap pads in but the disc, if a cast disc is a cast disc, a lot of the brands such as PF etc use much better grade alloys etc and different casting techniques etc to make help there designs dissipate heat more effectively etc, it is this RandD that your paying for....This was never an issue with the OEM disc for me so in this instance I didn't see the need to go mad and spend £500+ on a set of disc when I wouldn't be using them to their full potential.

Although a progress update if anyone is interested.

The old disc,

Removed. I also spent a while cleaning the back plate and the cailper inside and out and forgot to get a picture of it gleaming.

New Disc on

Wheel back on

Although can't drive it yet...See Here

One final note:
The pads looked in perfect condition, plenty of meat left, even wear and no sign’s of glazing. Also the brake Shim's were in fact in place, however there wasn't any signs of copper grease so I have greased them up to see if that fixes the noise issue. Just need to see if I can return the new Shim's I brought yesterday.

Once the above is fixed and they have bedded in I will report back on what I think of them and if the pad’s are any quieter.

Thanks again for everyone’s input

Last edited by Cockney Wideboy; 04 October 2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05 October 2009, 04:50 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

I was looking for something that was equal or slightly better than OEM which these are, who makes the OEM parts anyhow? Subaru certainly wont...Maybe Bob will be able to confirm who actually makes these discs? Either way I’m happy with the Disc.
I can however see you point regarding branding as I don't stick cheap **** tyres on the car and nor will I put cheap pads in but the disc, if a cast disc is a cast disc, a lot of the brands such as PF etc use much better grade alloys etc and different casting techniques etc to make help there designs dissipate heat more effectively etc, it is this RandD that your paying for....This was never an issue with the OEM disc for me so in this instance I didn't see the need to go mad and spend £500+ on a set of disc when I wouldn't be using them to their full potential.

Although a progress update if anyone is interested.

The old disc,

Removed. I also spent a while cleaning the back plate and the cailper inside and out and forgot to get a picture of it gleaming.

New Disc on

Wheel back on

Although can't drive it yet...See Here

One final note:
The pads looked in perfect condition, plenty of meat left, even wear and no sign’s of glazing. Also the brake Shim's were in fact in place, however there wasn't any signs of copper grease so I have greased them up to see if that fixes the noise issue. Just need to see if I can return the new Shim's I brought yesterday.

Once the above is fixed and they have bedded in I will report back on what I think of them and if the pad’s are any quieter.

Thanks again for everyone’s input
How much were the shims?
Old 06 October 2009, 12:41 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
How much were the shims?

around £11.60 each, plus VAT - so circa £53, i'm down there tomorrow to picking up my new bolts so i'll see if i can return them then.
Old 06 October 2009, 05:24 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

around £11.60 each, plus VAT - so circa £53, i'm down there tomorrow to picking up my new bolts so i'll see if i can return them then.
I'm sure they will take them, if they don't let me know.
I think I need two of them (the 3/4 ones).
Old 04 November 2009, 02:23 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

How you finding the brakes mate?
Old 05 November 2009, 09:23 PM
stewart1397
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i also have a set of these discs
dose anyone no what brand they are yet?