Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Why are 17" wheels better tham 16"

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2002, 09:06 PM
David1965
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the advantages in having 17" wheels over 16".

How does it affect handling, ride ect

Thanks

David

Old 08 March 2002, 09:10 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed last week, so I've just found out, sharper turn-in, nicer ride (imho), looks better, more brake clearance, and more grip!
Ron
Old 09 March 2002, 11:54 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
David, most people seem to go for big wheels for cosmetic reasons, but the performance benefit is in the lower tyre profile (aspect ratio), ie the side-walls are lower. So you get less side-wall flex on cornering, more precise, better steering feedback. You don't get any more grip in theory, but it feels like you do.

The ride quality will suffer a bit (less bounce in the tyres) and many bigger wheels are heavy. Anything over about 11kg might overload standard suspension.

Richard.
Old 10 March 2002, 02:20 AM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

From a driving point of view, you will find that 16" wheels are the optimum wrt feedback and comfort. The larger wheels will give a worse ride and a tendancy to tramline, also tyre costs will be alot higher. 17", especially in gold, also tend to look a little over the top.
Old 11 March 2002, 09:04 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well i just changed from original 15"ers to sum 17" bad boys & while the toyos still have a way 2 go before bedded in the turning in aspect is so much improved i can't emphasise enough! Feels like a proper scoob & can't say as i've noticed a much harsher ride & believe me it's a proper speedbump torn up road fest round these parts, maybe i just drive too sedately?
IMHO they do look so much better also, admittedly the originals r pieces of shyte but im in luv they just make the car look so much better & more beast like
I have seen 18"ers on the likes of the tart tastic trouser mobile & they do look pucker also but i should think that it may be a little harsh & i dont doubt 4 a second that his suspension has been upgraded so he can take such weighty *******
Good luck anyhow chap
Si
Old 12 March 2002, 09:55 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Si, I guess going from 15 to 17 will feel a lot better. You sound pleased The other advantage of 17s is you can stick some serious brakes under them, which will be night and day compared to your 2-pots

Richard.
Old 03 August 2002, 09:10 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did flood control go!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by RON - 3/8/2002 9:11:17 PM]