Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake worries

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2009, 03:34 PM
Narcosis
Scooby Regular

Location: Winchester. Love alot, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brake worries

Hi All,

Hope you can give me some advice.

In December I had some new STi Brembo (off the MY08 STi) calipers fitted on my MY03 WRX with Tarox grooved discs. This was done by a reputable well know Subaru tuning house. I still have the standard wheels and had to use spacers to get them to clear (not idea I know) but the wheels only just clear the calipers even with the spacers by a gnats ****.

I now get a lot of vibration coming through the chassis when I use the brakes normally, none when I stamp on them hard. There is also a "cluncking" sound when I start to reverse and the brakes make a squeaking noise when I use them in town.

Take it this isn't normal, any advice or reassurance would be welcome!

Cheers

Mark
Old 24 April 2009, 10:44 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vibration is possibly pad deposits on the discs, do they look clean, or kind of blotchy...????

The clonk is the pads moving slightly i suspect, possibly due to the pad being a tiny bit smaller than the original ones..... and the squeeking is possibly due to the compound of the pads being a bit hard, they may also be glazed over......

I take it you've checked the wheel nuts are tight......... and another question..... how thick are the spacers, and did you get longer studs..... as you may not have enough threads of nut on the stud........
Old 24 April 2009, 10:46 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Of course this imho, clunking is the pads moving in the calipers as you reverse, i get this now with a normal set up and just different pads. Squeaking is down to the what the pad is made out of, its compound and so if not upto temp or used lightly will squeak. Vibration could be pad deposits on the disks, if they have ever been used hard and then you have sat with your foot on the brake, the pads will still be in contact with the disc and hence deposit onto the disk surface, this creates an uneven surface, and therefore the vibration. These are of course guesses! You may be wise taking it back to the garage and asking them! Dont second guess it when they can look at it for you. I used to have a StopTech kit on my 03 WRX, the expansion of the calipers with heat, and my 17" wheels (very little clearance) was enough that the stick on wheel balancing weights actually hit the caliper! You could see where the paint had come off the caliper, unreal, but the heat caused this and so it was only present when the brakes had been used 'properly'.
Old 24 April 2009, 10:47 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

LOL Ron, beat me to it
Old 24 April 2009, 11:03 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
LOL Ron, beat me to it
Yeh, almost word for word...LOL!!!