Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Screeeeching brakes...sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2009, 03:16 PM
RB5#054
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screeeeching brakes...sometimes

Hello boys and girls, I hope you can help me.....

I have a classic MY99, an RB5 actually, as per my username!

The brakes are standard with Goodridge hoses.

The rear brakes are driving me to distraction. When the car is cold, there is no problem, but after about 7 or 8 miles, or a bit earlier if I’ve already used the car that day, I get a very loud screeching noise from the rear.

It comes from both sides, sometimes at the same time, and sometimes at different times and is there at all speeds. When I apply the brakes it disappears, but not for long, or if I apply the handbrake whilst driving, it goes, but again will come back very quickly.

Also, the position of the steering wheel or if I’m cornering sometimes affects it. If the wheel centrered, sometimes it stops the nosie, but turn it a little, and the noise comes back. Centre it again, and it’ll go!

Sometimes cornering induces it and it stops as soon as the corner is done.

Has any one got ANY ideas, because I have no idea what it is!

Soon I’m just going to give it to a garage and tell them to fix it no matter what. I’d rather try and source any items I need though, to keep costs down but I need to have and idea of WTF it is!

I’m thinking of replacing all 4 discs and pads anyway, but can anyone think of a possible cause of my frustration that might mean simply replacing these items dosen’t fix it. I’m not sure I could help myself crashing the thing into a wall if I replaced the brakes and it didn’t cure the problem……!

Help….. :-o)
Old 23 April 2009, 01:02 PM
RB5#054
Scooby Newbie

Anybody.......

Completely leftfield, but I can't help thinking that becasue it also happens when I am going round corners or make steering corrections that the noise is from something that is moving about under cornering forces like the hoses catching on something....

Does this sound reasonable, or is there anything else that could be moving and catching? I really am at a loss.....
Old 23 April 2009, 02:40 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably the handbrake shoes need adjusting. The handbrake shoes are located inside the rear disc, and I believe there is a screw you can get to without taking the disc off.
There is a guide on here somewhere.
Old 24 April 2009, 07:58 AM
RB5#054
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Chap, I just found one that Ian at Godspeed posted years ago so I'll give it a try....