Full costs of adding brembo's front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2009, 03:10 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full costs of adding brembo's front and rear

Hi guys,

I own a P1 and the rear brake seems to be sticking, i was eventually going to upgrade the brakes anyway if i was to keep the car for a long period but i've tried using the search on scoobynet and looking from page after page i can't find a good guide or price.

I understand you need spacers to fit under the standard P1WRC wheel, would this mean extending the threads?

What is the ideal price to pay for a set of just front brembo calipers? And Fronts and rear?

Would i have to get new disks and pads as i've only just changed my front brake pads 1000 miles ago

Anyone done the conversion and have a rough guide price in what i expect to pay? With all things i like to do my research incase there are hidden costs like the braket needed for the rear brake brembo conversion.

I've also noticed something to do with inserts or something for the rears? Is it really worth upgrading the rears aswell as this seems as a much more expensive option?

If anyone could let me know the full extent of damage to my wallet this would be and anything i haven't pointed out already?

Thanks in advance!

Philip
Old 06 April 2009, 11:19 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

No info on prices, however I would try to stick with the all Brembo swap, as the braking on my new-age STI is superb, and your's would be even better. Many early STI's have reached the breakers now, could you swap rear hubs to avoid needing brackets for the calipers ?

dunx
Old 06 April 2009, 11:38 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I did the conversion on my UK classic, you will need the front discs & pads, as well as the calipers - expect to pay about £350 - £450 for a decent set. They are a straight fit for your existing 4 pots, just make sure you get the caliper bolts with the calipers as they are a different thread to the 4 pots.

The rears are an easy fit if you buy the conversion kit from Godspeed, you will need the calipers, discs & pads again, & the Godspeed kit comes with the brackets & bigger handbrake shoes - I didn't do it that way I have the rear hubs from an 01 JDM STi on my classic, so it all fits as per the OE doner car - this conversion is only possible if you are using the rear diff from an STI as the shafts are larger (or so I have been told)

you could fit the 2 pots from a type r on the back, that way you can keep your existing discs I think.

Price for the whole conversion, I'd budget £600 for the parts & £150 for fitting at a decent garage.

As for the results, you won't be dissapointed, they are superb brakes, worth every penny.

p.s. I don't think the 17" P1 wheels will fit over the front brakes. They may need spacers as you say, but I wouldn't use spacers, personally.

Last edited by DJ_Jon; 06 April 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07 April 2009, 12:45 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

Right well seems loss of power was infact due to installing the boost guages so nothing wrong with the brakes but the fact is i still want some brakes now

Went to silverlakeautoparts (car breakers in Southampton) today what i thought was a simple pickup of some cheap brembo's i was quoted over the phone, they couldnt find the person responsible and wouldn't lower the price dispite the fact they made a huge mistake and wasted me a 80 mile round trip....idiots...
Old 07 April 2009, 12:46 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the reply, might be upgrading as soon as i can then. Any ideas how much the discs and pads cost then? How would you order them under?
Old 07 April 2009, 12:14 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

you want the discs an pads from a newage STi - 01 - 05. just make sure the discs are PCD 5x100 or they won't fit.

Ian Godney at Godspeed is the man to talk to.
Old 07 April 2009, 12:27 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
The rears are an easy fit if you buy the conversion kit from Godspeed, you will need the calipers, discs & pads again, & the Godspeed kit comes with the brackets & bigger handbrake shoes - I didn't do it that way I have the rear hubs from an 01 JDM STi on my classic, so it all fits as per the OE doner car - this conversion is only possible if you are using the rear diff from an STI as the shafts are larger (or so I have been told)

you could fit the 2 pots from a type r on the back, that way you can keep your existing discs I think.
DJ_Jon,
Interesting to know you have done this without the larger handbrake shoes. So did you actually use the diff from an STi?

Also, re the Type-R two pots. I thought the P1 was basically a Type-R modfied slightly for the UK. Shouldn't it have two pot rears.
Old 07 April 2009, 12:47 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I think, but don't quote me on it, the P1 came with the normal 1 pot sliding calipers.

I used the 01 STI diff, shafts, hubs, handbrake assembly, discs, pads & diff carrier . It all fitted fine to my classic. I did this all at the same time of changing my gearbox to a 6 speed item. aside form my front shafts, hubs & propshaft my drivetrain is entirely 01 STi version 7.