Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Front Disc Covers

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2009, 09:11 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Disc Covers

I've got the hubs pretty much stripped while I change the lower ball joints and do some other bits, and while I there I've got the disc covers off the hubs ad was either going to clean them up or bin them.

Before I spend some time cleaning them up, do they help direct cold air onto the discs to aid colling or are the they there for protection/prevent brake dust getting on other components.

I can't see them being critical as I suspect you would have to bin them when you fit upgraded brakes
Old 22 March 2009, 08:57 PM
C8 DHC 04WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are designed to stop dirt/stones getting stuck in your brakes.

They don't divert cold air in, they will have the opposite effect and actually stop air from getting to the brakes.

I ditched them on my Golf GTi trackday car but I don't use it on the road. I would probably leave them in if using mainly on the road as stones in your brakes aint good!
Old 22 March 2009, 09:02 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C8 DHC 04WRX
They are designed to stop dirt/stones getting stuck in your brakes.

They don't divert cold air in, they will have the opposite effect and actually stop air from getting to the brakes.

I ditched them on my Golf GTi trackday car but I don't use it on the road. I would probably leave them in if using mainly on the road as stones in your brakes aint good!
That is what I was thinking, whilst the car is mainly used for road use, it is not a daily driver, and given the state of them (bent, rusty etc) I might just ditch them. They won't fit when I get bigger brakes anyway
Old 23 March 2009, 11:36 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taken mine off with no problems 03STi, better cooling on track. I suspect they actually promote grot and corrosion. Some manufacturers don't fit anyway (ie none on my Focus runabout). Don't hesitate to discard.