Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Goodridge brake hoses, different lengths???

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2009, 07:10 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodridge brake hoses, different lengths???

OK,the story so far. Have 2 MY97 UK turbos. Have already upgraded both to 4 pot calipers. As I am changing the shocks this week thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to braided hoses. Dutifully sourced 2 sets, 1 set new and 1 set 2nd hand. Both sets duly arrived and when compared to each other found to be identical. Each set comprising of 2 different length pairs.

1 pair are 545mm long with a bend at the bango.
2nd pair are 505mm long with a straight banjo.

Fine I thought. Will take off the old ones and replace like for like. No probs.
Started at the back. Shocks in, new discs and pads ok. Old pipes are 535mm long with bent banjo. They will be the longer pair then, duly fitted.

On to the front and one broken 19mm socket and a broken 10mm spanner the shock is replaced. Good oh, now for the hose. Original is 530mm long with a straight banjo WTF!!!!!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME.

It is now raining and my floodlight just went bang, I am seriously p1ssed off and still have another shock to change, and the prospect of putting all the original hoses back on.
Old 20 February 2009, 01:25 PM
iscooby
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate, I had similar problems when I fitted my Alcon kits to my 2005 STI. 2 of the hoses were too short. I had a second set of hoses sent to me and 2 of those were to short so I used the 2 long ones from each set.
These were Goodrich hoses supposedly designed for my car???
Old 20 February 2009, 05:17 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Thanx for the reply.

Thought about using the 2 long pairs from each set but refrained as one set was 2nd hand and had already been fitted to a classic.

I suppose I was asking which end of the car the short hoses should be on?
Old 20 February 2009, 05:22 PM
iscooby
Scooby Regular

No worries, I believe the short hoses are for the rear calipers.
Old 22 February 2009, 10:25 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

I hope not....

Had a good long think and checked the stroke on the shocks that I had just replaced. The rears have a much longer stroke, therefore the longer hoses go on the rear....

Fitted the shorter ones to the front. They are tight but are not stressing the hose at the limit of steering travel with the strut fully extended. Should be OK.

Had the suspension set up in Werrington and they checked it and thought the same.

As an aside had the rear set to the standard settings and the front set to max allowable negative camber (-0.30) with toe in of +0.04 (+0.07 total) somewhat similar to the Prodrive front settings.

Awesome, the turn in is quick, lateral grip is amazing and the understeer is almost gone, and the car doesn't squirm under heavy braking anymore. And the pedal feel is to die for...had forgotten what good brakes and shocks felt like

Had been toying with an antiroll upgrade but was always very suspicious as the UK97 has 20mmm bars all round anyway. Won't be bothering now, don't need them, it's a commute car not track and I have never liked twitchy back ends. May replace the ARB rubbers and fit metal drop links to sharpen things up even more, but that will be all, I am sure.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 22 February 2009 at 10:27 AM.