Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Best brake setup for WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2009, 12:30 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Best brake setup for WRX?

Thinking of upgrading my standard brake setup in very near future, was thinking of Brembos but the total cost is a bit over budget in these hard times, so looking at new front/rear discs, pads and brake hoses anyone any recommendations?
Old 15 February 2009, 01:13 AM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a classic on a budget i have heard good things about the black diamond disks and the mintex 1155 pads being a good combination.
Old 15 February 2009, 08:26 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Newage weight..!

I fitted a setup Pagid 421 blacks with hoses and decent fluid, which although was a initially a good improvement, within a few k they started to exhibit the same characteristics as the OE setup, ie very iffy if pushed in any way. They we're worst when braking from high speed, even moderately, making a terrible 'rumbling' noise with rapid reduction in retardation..!

Now the only thing is, this was using the OE disc's, however, any single piece aftermarket disc isn't going to address the problem IMHO.

I therefore think the only way to address the issue is with a two piece disc (pref larger) to help dissipate the heat quicker, which is the killer.

Now IMO, if you're going down this route and therefore spending at least £600 you may as well do it properly and fit a big brake kit, which although a lot dearer, won't be a waste of £600 if the cheaper option doesn't fully deliver (which it won't).

I fitted AP 4pots/330 disc's and they're awesome. Something else to mention is that in 28k I went through two sets of 'std' disc's and pads (with ****e performance) yet since fitting the AP's (DS2500) I've covered 17k of same type of driving and there's around 75% of pad material remaining and only 0.1mm off the disc's (as recently measured by Colin at AP..)..! That's with truly mind blowing braking ability- makes your eye's bleed..!

It's all down to heat management, which the OE setup can't fully deal with, in any form..!

One other thing to mention, AP's customer service is one of the best their is..

I've said it before any no doubt will say it again, but of ALL the mods I've done, this was by far the most effective/VFM, even though it was also the most expensive. My only regret is that I should have done it sooner (and ironically saved £300 from trying to improve the OE setup).

Last edited by jasonius; 15 February 2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 15 February 2009, 03:47 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Agree with above, no point upgrading discs n pads for the OE system, its just not going to deliver on a newage car due to the extra weight over a classic.

Keep an eye out for some 2nd hand APs or Alcons, they do come up occasionally. The AP 4 pot kit with 330mm brakes fit under the stnd WRX wheels too.
Old 17 February 2009, 02:01 PM
stiler83
Scooby Regular

What's your budget?, have you considered the Godspeed 335kit?
Subaru Impreza 335mm Brake Upgrade Kit - Using Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500 Pads
Old 17 February 2009, 03:59 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stiler83
What's your budget?, have you considered the Godspeed 335kit?
Subaru Impreza 335mm Brake Upgrade Kit - Using Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500 Pads
For a bit extra was looking at at this Group Buy.

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...st-2009-a.html

They are a bit pricey but do seem to sell well second hand so could make a few quid back selling seperately when I eventually sell the car.

Will the 330mm Kit fit under WRX 17's?