Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

pads on standard sti discs

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2009, 04:00 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pads on standard sti discs

have been debating now for a while wether or not to get new pads, pads& discs , or just hang on till they are on there last legs. the reason for this is i have been getting concerned by the rubbing noise from the fronts at slow speeds under gentle braking. initially i thought the pads were low and got straight on to the dealer as the car was only 3 weeks old . Took it in, they said pads were fine, they would skim the discs due to uneven wear and they looked at the rear shocks cos i told them it was a bit squeeky over speed bumps and they replaced them no questions asked. After all this the rubbing noise still persists at slow speeds, is this normal as it brakes fine if you really need to work them . Anyone with advice or a solution please reply.
Old 09 January 2009, 12:24 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Standard Brembo pads are a bit noisy/grindy. Something like DS2500 or Pagid RS421 would be an improvement for normal road use. Pagid RS42 if you would like a bit more bite/stop for track. Alyn at ASPerformance 0191 4103770 is the man to call for these bits.
Old 09 January 2009, 05:56 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver
have been debating now for a while wether or not to get new pads, pads& discs , or just hang on till they are on there last legs. the reason for this is i have been getting concerned by the rubbing noise from the fronts at slow speeds under gentle braking. initially i thought the pads were low and got straight on to the dealer as the car was only 3 weeks old . Took it in, they said pads were fine, they would skim the discs due to uneven wear and they looked at the rear shocks cos i told them it was a bit squeeky over speed bumps and they replaced them no questions asked. After all this the rubbing noise still persists at slow speeds, is this normal as it brakes fine if you really need to work them . Anyone with advice or a solution please reply.
Same here, when I bought my 2006 STI I thought the brakes where noisy at low speed so I mentioned it to thee salesman and he said don't worry they are all like it!! So I test drove two more Imprezas and sure enough he was right I changed mine to black diamond which are not quieter but are not as mucky as the Brembos. I think its something you just have to get used to.