Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

How to brake??

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2009, 11:17 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to brake??

I normally brake with the clutch pressed down, and in gear.... but it looks like the brake kinda slips, making a grinding noise...

this hapened to my previous 2 cars aswell, so its not a problem with the car, its just me
if i brake in gear without pressing the clutch, the car stalls

well whats the best way to brake, say in emergency ?? sometimes i tend to press the brake and then engage a lower gear with the clutch pressed of course...
Old 04 January 2009, 11:22 PM
mwinter7
Scooby Regular

Brake first then put the clutch down once you are going slow enough for a lower gear.
Emergency braking is the same but just faster and press the pedal harder. With the clutch down you are getting no engine braking. Thats what BSM taught me anyway

Last edited by mwinter7; 04 January 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04 January 2009, 11:34 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

brake 1st, slow car down, change 2 lower gear, off clutch so ur in gear and braking, then again if need be down another gear till u wanna stop and u press clutch and brake.

or brake and put car into gear u want, when car is at speed u want for gear off clutch and away.

for instance from 5th 2 2nd on duel carriage way entering rwdabout. but done lift clutch in 2nd when ur doing 60mph etc.
Old 04 January 2009, 11:43 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

what about the ABS etc???
does it stop working when clutch is down??? or not in gear??

my brakes normally grind and dont stop me completely when am in wet conditions, or in uneven surfaces..... that was in my previous car tho.. havent tried in the new one...
Old 04 January 2009, 11:46 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

ABS shouldnt be affected by gears, clutch.
Old 05 January 2009, 01:32 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

When you press the clutch down the ecu injects petrol into the cylinder to keep the engine turning over, when you just brake witout the clutch until the revs get low enough to tickover, then no petrol is injected into the engine.

From serious high engine speed's it is best to press the clutch and use the brakes as the strain on an engine from braking only is surprisingly high, ok if ur racing and rebuilding the engine every few weeks.
Old 05 January 2009, 03:10 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always go down through the gears using the engine to do a fair bit of braking as well. Never had a problem with any engine in any car I've had. Although saying that - I don't have the engine screaming it's head off while I'm doing it...use from about the middle of the rev range of the car.

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2009, 06:24 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

What next? how do i drive!!!!!!, it surprises me how some can pass there tests?
Old 05 January 2009, 06:42 PM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

Good thread!?
Old 05 January 2009, 06:45 PM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Did you take driving lessons?
Old 05 January 2009, 07:14 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you think you should be driving an impreza of all cars if your asking how to break?
Old 05 January 2009, 07:28 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Braking is art, learning is best, advice is nearly as good.

If you don't ask you won't find out.

imho

dunx
Old 05 January 2009, 07:36 PM
adman73
Scooby Regular

I don't think you'll find anywhere advising you to press the clutch when braking from high speed. As this will unbalance the car.

There is no problem in changing down through the gears and using engine braking to help slow you down but you do need to match your gears, revs and road speed. (I don't think given your initial question this is for you right now ). However dropping it in 2nd at 60 is not a good idea. This may well cause damage to your car but more importantly on a slippery surface may lock the wheels.

I think the best advice for you right now is that given by "mwinter7"
Old 05 January 2009, 10:03 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hamyam
Did you take driving lessons?
no i passed before the test afaik
Old 05 January 2009, 10:03 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morpheus1870
do you think you should be driving an impreza of all cars if your asking how to break?
y?? is the braking system different on imprezas???
Old 05 January 2009, 10:05 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 172sport
What next? how do i drive!!!!!!, it surprises me how some can pass there tests?
no.. how do i write...
Old 05 January 2009, 10:10 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adman73
I don't think you'll find anywhere advising you to press the clutch when braking from high speed. As this will unbalance the car.

There is no problem in changing down through the gears and using engine braking to help slow you down but you do need to match your gears, revs and road speed. (I don't think given your initial question this is for you right now ). However dropping it in 2nd at 60 is not a good idea. This may well cause damage to your car but more importantly on a slippery surface may lock the wheels.

I think the best advice for you right now is that given by "mwinter7"

yes on motorways its brake, then choose the appropriate gear...

say am going 40 on a rainy day and have to brake in emergency... my wheels usually lock and the brakes grind... and the car goes on unless i pump the brakes
Old 06 January 2009, 09:34 AM
stara
Scooby Regular

i can count on one hand how many times i have had to proper emergency brake, and then it is FFFFFFUUUUUKKKKKK whilst standing on brakes, clutch in just before stall if brain allows and if impact is avoided. under 'hard' semi-emergency braking (i.e. impact unlikely but need to slow down quickly) then it's SHIIIIIT brake hard, clutch in, shout at other driver. If it's just spirited driving then it's blip throttle, select good appropriate braking gear, apply brakes, carry on.
If you are regularly locking your wheels under braking, then may i suggest that either you having a problem with your brakes or your driving, if you DO lock your wheels, then the car will appear to speed up after the wheels have locked esp on wet or slippy roads, this is because braking between disc and pad friction is greater than the sliding friction of a tyre on a slippy road, assuming you dont have abs, then 'cadence' break to regain stopping power and some steering control i.e. ease brake pressure reapply, if skids again, then ease pressure reapply again and keep doing it as fast as you need to until you stop (or ht something).........
modern brakes do sound grindy esp after prolonged hard braking (and sometimes squealy) too as most pads now contain metal in the compound, it's a bit annoying as the sound is like the pad has worn down to the metal. you can get organic compound pads though with no metal.
Old 06 January 2009, 11:17 AM
Scooby_Robb
Scooby Newbie

"How do I brake"? I guess the answer depends on the circumstances.

If your talking about general driving, then I reckon the best way to describe it as, and I know this sounds odd but...to picture the shape of a lemon from tip to tip side on. Begin to apply the pressure lightly and then build up the majority of the braking force to take the speed off, then ease of the pressure as you get to a gentle stop. At this point, as you start to "feel" the car "stutter" or as if stall, and as you know your car you'll known this point (a bit like using the force!) and still with the brakes engaged you then dip the clutch. And voila, smooth gentle stop! If your waiting there then just do the usual, handbrake, outta gear and wait etc etc
If your on the approach to a roundabout/ junction and your vision is good and well into the junction or R/A then you should be looking at planning to stop but looking to go...so as your coming to your stop/slowing, if theres room and you got the beans then whilst the clutch is dipped, blip the throttle to around 2500rpm and select the right gear for the speed to pull straight into / onto the road.
Both the above need slightly raised vision tho and not just looking at the first ten feet in front of the bonnet
Now if its an emergency stop....hit the brakes hard and dip the clutch as close to the end as possible! The engines retardation will help with the slowing process. There is always cadence braking but if your cars got ABS etc then this is kind of redundant.
Hope this helps......or just tell me to shuddup ?
Old 06 January 2009, 12:00 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

I like the lemon analogy!
Old 06 January 2009, 12:22 PM
Scooby_Robb
Scooby Newbie

ha ha, yeah I was waiting for comments !
Old 06 January 2009, 08:52 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Underworld
say am going 40 on a rainy day and have to brake in emergency... my wheels usually lock and the brakes grind... and the car goes on unless i pump the brakes
It sounds like you're dipping the clutch and just stamping on the brakes, expecting the abs to bring you to a stop?

By pumping the brakes a little, you are in effect varying the pressure on the brake pedal, giving the brakes a chance to slow the car down before it starts skidding again.

The brake pedal isn't an on-off switch - the amount of pressure applied should be varied according to the amount of deceleration you need (a bit like the throttle really!) and this is true even with abs cars and 4-wheel drive cars.

Consider driving more slowly for a while, so you can practice driving more smoothly, giving yourself a longer distance / time to slow down to a stop. This way, you might start to get more of a feel for the car and understand how engine braking can help slow the car (and mean that you can drive using the brakes less). Once you have mastered that, you can then start to build your pace up again.

If you really do feel that lost about how to brake, also consider some advanced driving lessons. I'm also a bit worried that it sounds like you are constantly having to perform emegancy stops!
Old 06 January 2009, 11:19 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveD
It sounds like you're dipping the clutch and just stamping on the brakes, expecting the abs to bring you to a stop?

By pumping the brakes a little, you are in effect varying the pressure on the brake pedal, giving the brakes a chance to slow the car down before it starts skidding again.

The brake pedal isn't an on-off switch - the amount of pressure applied should be varied according to the amount of deceleration you need (a bit like the throttle really!) and this is true even with abs cars and 4-wheel drive cars.

Consider driving more slowly for a while, so you can practice driving more smoothly, giving yourself a longer distance / time to slow down to a stop. This way, you might start to get more of a feel for the car and understand how engine braking can help slow the car (and mean that you can drive using the brakes less). Once you have mastered that, you can then start to build your pace up again.

If you really do feel that lost about how to brake, also consider some advanced driving lessons. I'm also a bit worried that it sounds like you are constantly having to perform emegancy stops!
it happens to me with mostly every car i drive...

if i drive and brake slowly, i wont get to know how it works .....
practice makes perfect.....
Old 07 January 2009, 07:16 PM
Scooby_Robb
Scooby Newbie

Practice makes perfect????

Well, yeah or a dented car laying wrapped over a roundabout!
If you're going down that route mate, dont do it round my way
Old 07 January 2009, 07:22 PM
Scooby_Robb
Scooby Newbie

Im no expert but Ive done the Advanced driving etc etc blah blah, and yeah I practiced but but not that way
"Practice makes perfect"??? Well, yeah or a dented car laying wrapped over a roundabout!
If you're going down that route mate, dont do it round my way

To be honest the grinding noise and the car carrying on that you describe sounds like the ABS pumps kicking in and the car isnt slamming to a stop as it is giving you the chance to steer around the item your going to smack into. Have you driven a non abs enabled car mate? And did the similar thing happen?
Old 07 January 2009, 10:09 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

When I brake it often goes pear-shaped....

lol

dunx
Old 07 January 2009, 10:16 PM
Scooby_Robb
Scooby Newbie

What..........no lemons?!
Old 08 January 2009, 12:32 PM
drive
Scooby Regular

Default dont try this then

YouTube - WRC - Colin McRae - Left-Foot Braking Lessons

a few more good ones on the right when you watched that

ceri

p.s. where do you live come down to sunny wales and i will teach you for a small fee lol
Old 08 January 2009, 11:02 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

i do brake with left foot in bendy roads..... only had problem with braking hard and coming to a stop...... sometimes..

just want to know if u brake with the clutch pressed or u press it when the cars slow enough..

ive been braking and then press clutch when its slow enough to put it in 2nd gear, no problems so far..... i think i got it