Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Trackday over heated brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2008, 08:45 PM
Scoobyhatch
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackday over heated brakes

Hi Guys wanted some advice. Just finished a fantastic track day (my first!) and noticed a lot of white smoke from front brakes after final session. Pedal and brakes spongy for a few miles before things settled down. Brake pedal has softer feel & slightly more travel than before. Should I be worried?

Teach me to push it on the cool down lap Cheers Jon

MY08 STi
Old 07 December 2008, 08:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'd change the fluid to be on the safe side. It's probably boiled and so will have oxygenated leading to the spongy pedal feel. If you're not already running it, upgrade to quality DOT5.1 fluid. Whilst under the arches, check the pads for wear and damage. If there was a lot of smoke the compound may have been weakened by the excessive heat and could show fractures, separation from the plate and edge deterioration. If they look in any way worrying then swap them out, again taking the opportunity to upgrade to Pagid Blue or similar. Whilst working on the brakes and for what they cost, I'd also pop a set of stainless braided lines on. These will be more resistant to fade for future trackdays and improve pedal feel a little too.

HTH
Old 09 December 2008, 09:53 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Try to arrange some ventilation to the brakes, ducting air to the middle of the discs would be ideal if sometimes difficult to squeeze in. I have an 03STi and have cut 3" square hole in the wheel arch liner and on track I take off the "fog light covers" and get lots of air behind the wheels, works a treat, don't know if this is possible with 08 car.

Best brakes in the world will eventually give up if just allowed to get hotter and hotter.