Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

AP's one side noisy when HOT..?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2008, 09:08 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AP's one side noisy when HOT..?

Whilst the brakes are absolutely fantastic , I do get some noise from the front o/s after they've been given some grief. Basically a 'tish, tish, tish...' noise is emitted from this side, only stopping after 30 seconds or so of no braking/cooling down. I have had this checked by the person who fitted them (AP dealer/fitter), and no signs of rubbing/light spots could be seen. Everything was in tolerance and the oe dust guard was also eliminated as the source.

I'm wondering if the hub bearing could be the cause, although I don't have any other sings of this. Would excess heat show this up prematurely..?

The noise is very light and on hearing it you would swear it's the oe dust shield, but as said it's far enough away and there's no signs of scoring/rubbing..?!

This has been present from the day the kit was fitted and is obviously heat related. Any suggestions from you would be very helpful..
Old 13 November 2008, 02:15 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 24 November 2008, 08:41 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up AP to the rescue..:)

Now sorted thanks to Pete Collen at AP Coventry..

Basically, the disc, when hot was expanding and touching the anti rattle clip, which was probably down to a 'tolerance stack'. It was exacerbated by rust on the outer rim of the disc. Apparently I'm not hard enough on the brakes, which is why I'm getting the rust..

Pete got it in one once we went out and he heard it.

He then kindly removed the calipers and added 0.5mm shims, effectively raising the caliper. Pete was going to recommend they add 0.5mm to the mounting bracket to prevent future kits suffering the same problem (even though they've not come across it before). This doesn't effect the performance BTW..

This only effects CP5200 4 pot calipers, so for future reference, anyone using this kit and experiencing 'tish, tish, tish' noise when hot: check the underside of the anti rattle plate for whiteness marks. If so, adding 0.5-1mm shims/washers between caliper and mounting bracket will resolve it. Don;t forget to thread lock and torque mounting bolts correctly..

Huge thanks to Pete at AP for sorting this out after many others failed and also for the tour of AP..

Top bloke and what a place: massive Veyron calipers in hand along with Hamilton's Brazilian GP CC clutch (back for refurbishment..?) several complete Testarossa clutches, waiting to be packed off to Maranello ...etc, etc... you get the idea, stunning..!

It was like a chocoholic being in ***** Wonkers Chocolate factory..

Now that's what I call customer service..!
Old 24 November 2008, 10:53 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I've had help from Pete Collen in the past, top guy and very helpful.
Old 25 November 2008, 11:17 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D1CCY
I've had help from Pete Collen in the past, top guy and very helpful.
I'm only 10 miles or so from them, but I was really pleased, when after an initial email enquiry he said he'd take a look. I'd have been pleased if he'd simply identified the problem for me, let alone actually fix it for me..!

AP might be more expensive than 'other' kits, but when you see the place and what they do.. . That and the customer service/backup/spares pad choice etc... well worth it IMO..