Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New alloys scraping arches

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2008, 10:16 PM
chapvanistolroy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New alloys scraping arches

Hi everyone. Just fitted some 18" kato sports alloys to my w reg impretza non turbo. The front are fine but the back seem to scrape the top of the arches when i turn at any speed or go through potholes. I tock the rubber trim off but it's still scraping a little. has anyone else had this trouble cheerz dan.
Old 29 September 2008, 09:16 AM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

what tyre size are u running mate?
Old 30 September 2008, 07:39 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

I've got exactly the same problem, although i have had the wheels on since last year. The scrub was only when cornering hard, I have since put Tein Coilovers on and stiffened the rear suspension up and have been able to lower it without it rubbing as much. The cause of mine rubbing is due to the "Off Set" of the alloys its Either 43 or 45 will check later on. The Tyre size I'm using is 215/35/18 and the alloy is 7.5" wide, Im currently looking into solutions for this will let you know when i find away around it.

Ryan.
Old 30 September 2008, 08:05 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

i have the same tyres ...35/18s and havent had any probs with rubbing , i have teins on but not sure how low they are , had a good feel in the arches before hand to see if there was anything that could catch but all was ok, and even with 4 ppl in the car still nothing. have read some ppl trim back the inner lip of the arch :/
where are urs rubbing ryan?
Old 30 September 2008, 11:10 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Hi Oli,

They are rubbing the outer wall of my tyre's but mainly on the passenger side, im not sure if since putting on my Coilovers the camber is out slightly. I know mine is purely down to the OffSet of the alloys, when i bought them i didn't know a great deal about what i was looking for but loved the look. So im toying with the idea of have the rear camber adjusted and then maybe have the rear arches rolled. I have heared the paint can split doing this.

Just out of curiosity what alloy wheels are you running and would you happen to know what the OffSet they are? I really love the look of the wheels but if i cant solve this i may be forced to shop around

Ryan.
Old 01 October 2008, 08:32 AM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

hey ryan, im running 18 oz prodrive p1s , not 100% sure on the offset but i will find out as i only just got them the other week off a mate deff worth looking at the camber, i know i need my fronts doing badly since i put them on.
there will be ways to get around the rubbing im sure, im not really knowledgable about it all but have read parts in previous threads to do with fitting wide rims. the paint could split along the arch plus i would be really scared of rust showing up if it was done rubbish. i have heard of ppl putting on smaller tyres and stretched them ( i think ) dont really understand this but may be worht doing a search for stretched tyres n see what its about?