Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Track tyres on the road

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2008, 10:42 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track tyres on the road

Are super grippy treaded tyres available in 205/50/16 to go on standard MY00 wheels? I don't have any knowledge of what exists as regards 'not for road use' tyres. And if so, what is the offense if you get collared using them?
Kevin
Old 28 September 2008, 12:05 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Same as for no insurance and four bald tyres I'd guess.

There are loads of e-marked trackday tyres out there, Dunlop, Kumho, Silverstone, Toyo and no doubt others.

Try the EARS site, Camskill, Silverstone tyres, and Demon-Tweeks.

HTH

DunxC

P.S. Silverstone do a "medium" compound similar to the Toyo R888, which is a soft compound and doesn't last very long....Service and Sport Limited

Last edited by dunx; 28 September 2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 28 September 2008, 12:26 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Track Day Tyres - Trackday Tyres - Motorsport Tyres - R16" - 205/50/16, 205/50 R16 -
Old 28 September 2008, 12:26 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

After posting I did a few searches and found some 'road legal trackday tyres' such as the R888 Toyo mentioned.
Would these kind of tyres grip like limpets when compared to say Eagle F1's or is the improvement not really dramatic? And what kind of mileage would they manage with enthusiastic road use? And finally would they be good when it rains, because if they turn the car into a deathtrap in the wet that makes them a little redundant on an Impreza?
Kevin
Old 28 September 2008, 12:52 PM
JB1
Scooby Regular

Road legal trackday tyres like the Yokohama A048s (which I think are better than the Toyo 888s) are a world apart from the Yokohama Parada spec 2s that you get for general 'quick' road driving.
They have amazing amounts of grip in the dry, but are rubbish in the damp and wet. Standing water means you are sliding all over the place if you try to go fast at all.
They also don't last as long by a long way, but this is the compromise you get for a softer compound. The A048s have a different profile that the Paradas and Toyo Proxys though with a more rounded edge, so you can run some good camber without ruining your tyres within a few thousand miles.

You have to be realistic with your driving. Do you nead sticky rubber for the road? The Parada spec 2 are a good road tyre, that will handle most situations, and are best for the road, unless you are going proper fast. I have used them on track and they are a decent tyre. I would also say though that you need a good suspension setup to compliment if you want to run track tyres.

Anyway, yes, track tyres are better, but expensive and last less (1000s of miles). They also aren't good in the wet.

Go for Parada spec 2s or Toyo Proxys for the road. Unless you really are going to use them properly and have fairly deep pockets. If yes to these, then get Yokohama A048s (£150each for 17").

Or just get slicks But then, thats a different ball game altogether (100s of times better)!
Old 28 September 2008, 02:04 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

My 888's lasted a week! Granted that involved 2 days at Spa and 4 days on the Nordschleife

Personally found them good (once found the right psi)on twisty circuits but crap on the NS due to the soft walls struggling with the high speed corners.

Personally I now stick with RE070's, great in the dry and clear more water in the wet.
Old 28 September 2008, 05:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I agree, the RE070 are the best tyre I've driven to date. I got 20k road miles and three Blyton Park (very abrasive surface) trackdays out of mine. They can be nervous in the wet, especially on greasy white lines, but in the dry they are awesome. On one roundabout near where I live my winter wheels with Toyo's used to get wayward at about 50mph with squealing and a bit of a drift. The RE070's were perfectly composed at 80, with a slight squeal starting at about 85. I never pushed them beyond that as it would have been too dangerous in consideration to the layout and other road users. I'd love a set on my Fabia
Old 28 September 2008, 10:55 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I've run mine on R888's all year, they are crap is slush and snow as you'd expect, they don't like large quantities of standing water either.

They are good in the wet as they are a soft compound. I found that roundabouts that I used to brake and change down for became a case of just turning in and flooring it ! Absolutely awesome, compared to T1r or s.

My pal with a WRX screamed like a girl when I showed him what they can do.... I don't drive like that on the road tho', save it for Blyton.

HTH

DunxC

P.S. just got some 070's for my track wheels, so we will see how good they are !
Old 29 September 2008, 05:50 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

P.S. just got some 070's for my track wheels, so we will see how good they are !
Dunx they are a cracking tyre in the dry very stiff sidewalls get a bit of damp/standing water on track and they are a different kettle of fish I still have a set sitting on my spare wheels for my next trackday.I tried the R888's same again a cracking tyre but the sidewalls arnt as ridged as the Bridgstones (not as much feedback through the steering wheel )and I ended up shredding them (note to oneself check tyre pressures)they got too hot,
Im now running with Dunlop O2G hard compound tracktyres on the car but have only had one outing on them and once warm they are very much like the Bridgestones Just need to pull my finger out at work and get myself booked on another trackday before winter sets in
Old 29 September 2008, 07:21 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

We've just lost our "cheap" venue, so looks like Cadwell or boring old Elvington now !

Grumpy Dunx
Old 03 October 2008, 08:08 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

R888s and the like are good in the dry and damp, they just cant clear standing water as well as a full road tyre. Theres a huge difference between the performance of track tyres and road tyres but then theres also a huge reduction in life.