Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Judder - Help

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2002, 04:32 PM
my99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had brake judder so changed front discs and pads. Still evident and if anything worse, is it likely to be rears? Anyone know what the symptoms of brake judder from the rears?

Appreciate you responses.

Garry
Old 09 February 2002, 05:26 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Ouch! Expensive mistake Hope this helps.

1) If discs are warped you will only feel it when the brakes are applied. If you feel constant vibration it's 99% a wheel out of balance.
2) Warped front discs are very clearly felt through the steering wheel. Under gentle braking you sometimes don't notice it as the discs run true when cold, but as they heat up they distort. You'll notice this in a heavy stop from 70mph or so.
3) If it's the rears you'll feel it through the seat.

Warped rears are much less common than fronts, especially if your car is MY99 or later with ventiltated discs. I think pre-99 discs are solid. But either way, the rear brakes have very poor cooling. If the brakes are binding or maybe handbrake slightly on, they will get very hot and warp. Sticking pistons are common at this time of year with lots of salt/crap/corrosion getting in there.

If it does turn out to be warped rear discs, have the calipers properly cleaned/serviced or it'll just happen again.

Good luck,

Richard.
Old 11 February 2002, 11:23 PM
my99
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the response, I will clamp off the rear brake lines to check. If its still fronts then my ne discs are guff or my hubs toast.

Cheers
Garry
Old 19 February 2002, 08:13 PM
dela
Scooby Regular

Garry,

Let us know how you get on...
Especially if it turns out to be your hubs that are b@ggered.

I've recently started getting vibration under braking, but I can't believe its warped front discs, as they have only been on for 2k miles.

cheers,
Dave
Old 19 February 2002, 09:14 PM
my99
Scooby Regular

To cut a long story short, twas the rears.

If you get a DTI you could fix to the strut and check the runout of your hub if you suspect this.

I personally think it will be the discs as this seems to be the impreza's major weakness.

I dont want to upgrade the brakes too much, but next time I'm gonna get Godspeed discs with seperate bell, as this allows the disk to 'flex' a little.

Cheers
Garry
Old 21 February 2002, 10:20 AM
dela
Scooby Regular

Strange coincidence that you should mention Godspeed Garry....

I already have a Godspeed seperate rotor/bell setup at the front, which have only been on the car since Nov. last year, so I am pretty sure they haven't warped. Mine are grooved, and when I brake heavily you can hear the grooves acting against the pad, in a steady hum.

My assumption is that if the fronts were warped, then the above wouldn't be a constant noise, but intermitent as the pad bounced over the warped disc surface.

Did you have to have your rear calipers rebuilt? Or did you just replace the rear discs?

cheers,
Dave
Old 21 February 2002, 10:32 PM
my99
Scooby Regular

No the calipers are OK, my mate owns a garage and confirmed this, so just changed pads.

I very much doubt the fronts are warped if you have godspeed 2 piece setup.

Cheers
Garry