Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Handbrake Seized - MY00 - * HELP! *

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2002, 10:43 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't normally use the Scoob during the week and when I first try to move the car after its been parked for a while there is a loudish clunk as though the handbrake is seized on.

The car has been parked up for three weeks and I've just tried moving it - the handbrakes absolutely jammed solid - I've tried going up to about 4000 or so revs but the car just stalls or the clutch slips How much power can I give it to free the hand brake off? - I don't want to do any damage.

Any ideas? - I want to go out to play this weekend

Cheers,

Ian.

[Edited by Ian E - 2/8/2002 10:59:04 PM]
Old 08 February 2002, 11:02 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ian
This might not work, but you could try reversing, that is assuming you're not already reversed up against the back of the garage!
rON
Old 08 February 2002, 11:04 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Ron,

Funny you should say that! The cars about 6" away from the garage door

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 08 February 2002, 11:11 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worth a shot though wasn't it!
Old 09 February 2002, 08:04 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Ian, has that fixed it? Whenever I put my car in the garage wet (most most nights these days) there's a nasty 'clunk-jerk' next morning as the brakes free-up. The discs/pads literally rust themselves together over night. And after a few weeks...

Here's the cure: park car, free up the brakes by gently moving the car backwards and forwards just a few inches using reverse, 1st gear. Allow the car to come to rest without touching the brakes. Do not apply handbrake but leave it in gear just to make sure it doesn't go anywhere while you're not looking

Have you moved your car yet? If not, you'll just have to rock it backwards and forwards in 1st/reverse until it frees up. You might have to get quite violent but then BANG! and you're away. Always check your brakes after something like this. They will sound horrible until the rust/salt/crap is scraped away. I just use a little gentle left-foot braking as I head up the road. It only takes twenty or thirty yards before the brakes are smooth and quiet again, and you know the pads have settled back to where they should be.

Richard.
Old 09 February 2002, 01:42 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Cheers everybody for the advice.

Tried pushing it back and fourth with three people - all the car would do is sit down on the suspension / slide along the tarmac.

Finally got one side freed off. Moved the car a couple of metres away from the back of the garage with one sized still seized and then put the car into reverse. Sorted I'll not be leaving the handbrake on again for long periods in future!

Cheers,

Ian.