Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Classic 2 pot rears, any benefit??

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2008, 01:17 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic 2 pot rears, any benefit??

I have the godspeed 4 Pot 335mm brake kit on my RB5, just wondering if i upgrade the rears to the two pots (same as the newer cars and the classic type r's) will i see much benefit over the single pot calipers, or would i be better with a 4 pot rear setup like the AP'S or something like that?

Im happy with the godspeed fronts with the ds2500's but i just want the rears to be a bit better now!!

Recomendations please....

Last edited by RB5 Boyo; 28 June 2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 28 June 2008, 02:38 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From modifying other cars, and in the process of fitting brembo's on my car, I would say that the rears do benefit from an upgrade if the fronts are significanly altered.

In your case, I think the 2 pots with some good pads would match the fronts nicely. You would probably just get away with better pads on the standard discs. The 2 pots require larger discs which will give a greater leverage and hence more braking effort.

A balance must be made though, you don't want to over brake the rears, just match the fronts. If you start fitting brake bias levers, then it gets a little more complicated.

I will be fitting the brembo rears on mine, simply as the fronts are brembo. If this set up was designed to be used on the original cars, then it should be right for mine.

I have driven cars with larger brake upgrades on the front but standard rears. Braking was improved certainly, but by simply uprating the rear pads to that used at the fronts, the balance was much better under extreme hard braking.

I don't care what people say, I firmly believe you need to increase braking at the rear if you increase stopping power at the front, simply to restore the balance. For roads cars, this usually means a simple pad upgrade from my experience.
Old 28 June 2008, 03:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

I've put the Brembos off a newage STi onto my classic, using parts from Godspeed, and the calipers and discs from GradeA.

For a start they LOOK much better, filling the wheels nicely, and the disc seems to be wearing more slowly.

Can't say as I've noticed a lot of difference apart from that, however, but I'm not hard on my brakes, preferring to anticipate rather than react.

Alcazar