Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Going back to OEM front brakes :(

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2008, 07:30 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Going back to OEM front brakes :(

Well, having ordered then cancelled my K-Sports (money), then ordered and cancelled AP 6 pots (money and ITL just announcing 175 job cuts) i am going back to my OEM 03 WRX front brakes and i think Pagid Blue pads.
Just for conversational value, i wonder how much different the braking will be? bearing in mind i am a bit of a wuss these days and only drive fast for a very very short percentage of my life now my shifts have changed?
I have the dreaded StopTech clicking noise back and suffice to say i am having a 'throw them in the skip party' when i get to RCM a week on Monday! LOL. They have been crap for me and nothing but bloody trouble.
Anyways, can anyone give me an opinion on things?
Oh, and if anyone wants some rubbish, paint peeling off, StopTech calipers after a week on Monday, then tell me now or forever hold your silence!
I could not justify the money on AP's now my job is in jeopardy.
I forgot to mention, the reason for the change is i need new disc's and pads now anyway and they are very expensive for the StopTechs and i am not prepared to buy them when you get that 'free' annoying clicking noise 6 weeks later. Ha ha.

Last edited by MaDaSS; 21 June 2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 22 June 2008, 06:27 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Default stoptech

are you selling them, if so how much?
Old 22 June 2008, 07:46 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I will be selling them yes. Although they will be there as part of the sale, the discs are fubared anyway (worn out). You can reuse the bells though. I will take piccies when i get them off next week, post em on here then decide on money then
Old 29 June 2008, 07:03 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

if the discs are worn out, then that is the source of your noise, the inner lip on the discs makes the pads rattle. Personally I would spend money on new discs and pads of the stoptechs, which would cost around the same as buying 4 pots, or the sort of money you might raise for selling them.

I really don't know why you've had such a hard time with them, we've fitted quite a few and they've been no trouble, even a 6 year old set we spruced up for a friend (still on original discs) have been fine.

Discs are around £125+vat each from memory (probably gone up like everything else these days!), mintex pads around £100+vat, and a bolt kit is £30 or so, you can even spend some time and love on painting them with some foliatech caliper paint!
Old 29 June 2008, 07:35 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 29 June 2008, 08:58 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
if the discs are worn out, then that is the source of your noise, the inner lip on the discs makes the pads rattle. Personally I would spend money on new discs and pads of the stoptechs, which would cost around the same as buying 4 pots, or the sort of money you might raise for selling them.

I really don't know why you've had such a hard time with them, we've fitted quite a few and they've been no trouble, even a 6 year old set we spruced up for a friend (still on original discs) have been fine.

Discs are around £125+vat each from memory (probably gone up like everything else these days!), mintex pads around £100+vat, and a bolt kit is £30 or so, you can even spend some time and love on painting them with some foliatech caliper paint!
Thanks for the info
I have thought about this for a long time now over the years, lol.
I was having AP's fitted Monday but due to recent job loss announcements i promptly cancelled that and am going back to my oem 4 pots.
My 'rationale' is this:
The caliper coating has come off one caliper front completely and the other one is starting the same, yet isn't it funny how my rear oem calipers with white paint have not lost anything? Nothing is falling off them.
Secondly, discs and pads are bloody expensive, i was quoted well over 150 quid each for discs and pads nearly 150 too. I really hate the way they have just lost the coating, and for the way i mainly drive these days, the oem will do just nicely! LOL.
It is a money thing as well. This is the first time i have ever had to think about the money as i never care i just spend it. But common sense must prevail, and for me this is it.
I shall report back after tomorrow and after bedding in when i shall give an honest report on here about the comparisons.
Old 29 June 2008, 10:35 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

would make a good set for sensible money second hand. If you think the discs are expensive, you should try buying some for APs at £170+vat each!

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2008, 10:50 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

MaDaSS - stick a decent set of pads in there and you'll be fine. I was running Carbotech pads in my OEM 4 pots, and didn't notice a massive difference when i changed to AP's with Ferodo DS2500's
Old 30 June 2008, 07:58 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Gents:- Again thx for the info.
LOL to the cost of AP stuff! I knew it was dear though i must say. I looked into that as well.
Well i am now back on OEM 4 pots with Pagid Blue pads.
I will see what its like once bedded in or whatever, i should do that this week as i am on hols and driving around the country anyway to various places, so hopefully thereafter i should start using them 'properly'.

Moley - You cant be using them AP's properly then i say! LOL. Get yourself out the seat against the seatbelt man!
Old 01 July 2008, 07:57 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Well, after a trip to Skeg today, i can say so far i am happy with the brake setup. I have not yet reached a point where i am happy 'standing' on the pedal as i do not feel they have bedded in enough yet.
The only thing i have noticed is a slight squeal from them under very light braking which will annoy me if it gets any worse! LOL.
That is one thing i never had before, but at least i can now turn a bloody corner without the loudest clicking noise in the universe!