Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

STI MY02 - Wooden Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2008, 05:55 PM
Viz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI MY02 - Wooden Brakes

After owning 3 newage WRX motors decided to treat myself and got hold of a low mileage MY02 STI with PPP.
The last WRX was taken around the Nurburgring and was great fun, braking provided by the Red Stuff pads and OEM discs front & rear, the car was driven hard but the braking was predictable and always available.
The STI has recently had the discs and pads replaced all round (OEM parts) a few months before I brought it and they feed unresponsive and wooden i.e. I expected there to be more bite, but there is little, ok they work but compared to the WRX with the Red Stuff pads a big disappointment.

Am I setting my expectations too high for the Brembos/ OEM discs & pads, or is this typical ?

Any advice or guidance on how to make them better (sharper &/or bite harder) would be appreciated, i.e. pads, known problems & fixes mucha appreciated

TIA, Viz
Old 10 June 2008, 06:59 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pads make a big difference, as you say the standard WRX set up is transformed by a simple change to EBC Pads for example. I had the Yellow R's on mine and they were excellent on the road. I don't find the Brembos on standard pads that much better tbh. Change of pads will sort that when they wear out.
Old 11 June 2008, 12:18 AM
Viz
Scooby Regular

So the EBC Reds it is, can you recommend any good suppliers ?

Thanks
Old 11 June 2008, 01:45 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Reds are like chocolate pads....don't bother.

Have a search for the highly regarded Performance Friction Pads. We've had nothing but good feedback about them. We do them for £100 a set and you'll love them.