Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

EBC Redstuff Brake Pads (Ceramic)

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2008, 06:01 PM
stee
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Redstuff Brake Pads (Ceramic)

was wondering if someone could enlighten me,i have bought some rear ebc redstuff brake pads for my subaru sti 2003 and in the bottom left of 2 of the pads there is like a clip attached can anyone tell me what its for and why the other 2 dont have this clip,looking at it again is this a wear indicator? if so is this pad fitted to the front or rear of the rotor cheers and is it wise to copper grease the 2 shallow circular holes before sticking the shims to the rear of the pad.cheers ste
Old 06 June 2008, 08:54 PM
Rich_B
Scooby Regular

Yes it's a wear indicator, it will contact the disc and squeal just before the pad material finally runs out.
The idea is you put them on the inside as these are the ones you can't easily see.
Old 06 June 2008, 09:34 PM
stee
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Rich_B
Yes it's a wear indicator, it will contact the disc and squeal just before the pad material finally runs out.
The idea is you put them on the inside as these are the ones you can't easily see.
thanks alot!
Old 07 June 2008, 02:26 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Particularly important on EBC pads because you'll fit them and the wear indicator will be squealing away in about 3 weeks when they're completely shot while you're still in "just fitted new pads don't need to worry about them for the next 6 months" mode.
Old 07 June 2008, 07:39 PM
Rich_B
Scooby Regular

I kind of agree chelspeed, my EBC red rear pads lasted just one trackday, whereas subaru OE pads lasted a year including several trackdays (and are cheaper!).
Old 09 June 2008, 02:48 PM
burgesi
Scooby Newbie

I have lost faith in EBC, having gone through a pair in half a trackday, and have moved to Pagid Blues. I used them at Castle Coombe last week and they were great
Old 13 June 2008, 09:13 PM
GIBEY D
Scooby Regular

i had red stuff on my civic type r and they were good.put yellowstuff on my sti and theyve been ****.not as good as the standed pads

Trending Topics

Old 14 June 2008, 09:21 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

i have just put a virtually new pair of (03 sti rear) red stuff in the bin what a load of s..t . give it 3 months and look at your discs,they leave groves on the disc .brembo all the way
Old 15 June 2008, 02:07 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

This seems to be a common complaint across many car forums. Some people love em, I've heard nothing but bad press though. Apparantly they used to be quite good, then they changed the compounds over and all sorts of issues came up.

Copper deposits sticking to the brake discs causing brake wobble, disintegrating pads, high wear rates, basically not up to the job on track days etc etc etc.

I'm not usually one to take peoples views for granted on things like this, preferring to have a go and get first hand experience. With EBC products though, I think I'll save my cash.
Old 15 June 2008, 03:31 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

the ones i fitted were the later type as i heard they had improved them over the earlier ones,another issue i used to get was i used to suffer brake fade at the bk with them rather fast
Old 15 June 2008, 04:53 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Default EBC pads

Originally Posted by NUTTYNICK
This seems to be a common complaint across many car forums. Some people love em, I've heard nothing but bad press though. Apparantly they used to be quite good, then they changed the compounds over and all sorts of issues came up.

Copper deposits sticking to the brake discs causing brake wobble, disintegrating pads, high wear rates, basically not up to the job on track days etc etc etc.

I'm not usually one to take peoples views for granted on things like this, preferring to have a go and get first hand experience. With EBC products though, I think I'll save my cash.
I have tried the original redstuff and the latest compound on a classic with four pots, all i can say is EBC seem to have lost there way with these, both are hard on the disc surface with the latest ones being the most abrasive.

I have used EBC pads for quite some time in my bikes and have never had issues, even used them for national races.
Old 15 June 2008, 05:09 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

I'm not saying they are all bad. I've used EBC pads on my mountain bike (not quite the same I know) and have felt improvements on bite when it's particularly wet and muddy.

I've never used them, so can only go on what I've read. As I said, I generally don't do that, but I've read more bad than good threads about this make and therefore will not spend money on them.
Old 15 June 2008, 08:49 PM
Rich_B
Scooby Regular

Here's my Redstuff rear pads after one trackday - note the small area actually left in contact with the disk

Old 15 June 2008, 09:03 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

I asked a well known brake expert on here about the red stuff pads and he said he wouldn't even fit them to his wheelbarrow
Old 15 June 2008, 09:45 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

had red stuffs non ceramics and redstuff ceramics on mine

non ceramics were ****en leathal when cold

ceramics were a bit pants really, hot or cold, but an improvement on the older ones

much better options available IMO
Old 15 June 2008, 09:50 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack hte thread a bit. My classic impreza has red stuff pads on them and they don't squeal and fade but I haven't taken it on trackdays yet. I won't have them fitted again though! The info has been useful.

I'm planning on having OEM Subaru pads fitted next time, will they be any better?
Old 15 June 2008, 09:53 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

just fit ferodo mate and u wont go far wrong
Old 15 June 2008, 10:03 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

Thanks will get some next time
Old 15 June 2008, 11:18 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
just fit ferodo mate and u wont go far wrong
Very impressed with the DS2500's. I'm currently running Mintex M1155 all round, not my 1st choice but I couldn't turn down a set of front and rears for £80.

Not EBC pads but EBC related... A weekend at the Ring and their Turbogrooved discs cracked on me.
Old 17 June 2008, 01:12 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Default EBC pads

Here's my Redstuff rear pads after one trackday - note the small area actually left in contact with the disk

Hi mate it's difficult to be 100% but they look like u overheated them to the point of being on fire, and unless i'm mistaken they are the old redstuffs for a 2 pot sliding caliper, not the 4 pot scooby pads.
Old 17 June 2008, 02:00 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All these comments are beginning to concern me.

I have EBD redstuff ceramic pads in my UK MY05 STI.
They've been in just over a month now and I haven't found fault with them yet.

OK - they're not great from cold, but get a little bit of heat in them and they're fine.

All the talk of cracked discs and melted pads - all trackdays or normal road driving too?

Only downside - they've very dusty.

Shaun
Old 17 June 2008, 03:00 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Default concerned

Originally Posted by urban
All these comments are beginning to concern me.

I have EBD redstuff ceramic pads in my UK MY05 STI.
They've been in just over a month now and I haven't found fault with them yet.

OK - they're not great from cold, but get a little bit of heat in them and they're fine.

All the talk of cracked discs and melted pads - all trackdays or normal road driving too?

Only downside - they've very dusty.

Shaun
Unless ur doing constant track days I would not worry, drilled discs tend to crack when worn to the end of the service limit, melted pads are usually down to overheating caused by track conditions or faulty calipers. The Brembo's on the sti are fairly good.

I would just check for wear on the pads periodically and budget for replacement disc's when you find the pads are worn out.
Old 17 June 2008, 06:47 PM
Rich_B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tazz Kill Er
Hi mate it's difficult to be 100% but they look like u overheated them to the point of being on fire, and unless i'm mistaken they are the old redstuffs for a 2 pot sliding caliper, not the 4 pot scooby pads.
I'm afraid you are! "Here's my Redstuff rear pads.....", they're for the single pot sliding rear calipers. They were bought early last year, so not sure whether that makes then the 'old' or 'new' Red's. They do indeed look overheated; the point is that standard Subaru pads looked much better after a trackday. So compared to OE, Reds's seem to be: worse from cold; about the same when warmed up; worse when (too) hot. Take your pick.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:15 AM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid you are! "Here's my Redstuff rear pads.....", they're for the single pot sliding rear calipers. They were bought early last year, so not sure whether that makes then the 'old' or 'new' Red's. They do indeed look overheated; the point is that standard Subaru pads looked much better after a trackday. So compared to OE, Reds's seem to be: worse from cold; about the same when warmed up; worse when (too) hot. Take your pick.
Rich, that will teach me to read the posts correctly, i still stand by my comment though, for a rear pad to look like that after a trackday. What setup did you have on the front?
Old 18 June 2008, 08:21 PM
Rich_B
Scooby Regular

I don't disagree that they're toast! Fronts are Subaru 4-pots, probably running Mintex 1155's at the time. Now using the awesome Carbone Lorraine RC5's up front, with 1155's in newage 2-pots on the back, which hardly wore at all.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:16 PM
dan ok
Scooby Newbie

Has any one used this companies products? Are they any good?

xspec.co.uk
Old 18 June 2008, 11:38 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dan ok
Has any one used this companies products? Are they any good?

xspec.co.uk
i have just fitted a set of disc from them . very helpfull and discs are wicked
Old 18 July 2008, 10:20 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

I'm running DS2500 all round (AP 330 front set up) and can't fault them.

I was chatting to the EBC guys at the Autosport show and asked about the ceramics - I'd been told the redstuff would be a good alternative. The guys were "Who told you that - we'd never recommend Reds for track, they're a road pad - use yellows if you're doing track days!"

Might try some yellows next time they need changing, but possibly as "spare" pads for track use only.
Old 18 July 2008, 11:44 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

The Yellows are truly awfull i run ap 6 pot 330mm set up and they have destroted my discs useless from cold and fade badly even on the road !
Old 25 July 2008, 07:53 PM
scooby(puppy power)
Scooby Regular

i put the red stuff ceramic in the wifes t sport corolla and green stuff in my corolla (still for sale lol) green stuff seem to get the heat in quicker and not grind the disc as much, also both produce a lot of dust, lucky on my car the wheels have been powder coated charcoal so cant see it as much, dont know what pads are in scoob but theres hardly any dust even when its not been washed for a week or so, also used the ebc in my fireblade once and the constant grinding on that pissed me off so ended up buying honda ones that braked just as well imo