Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

car pulls to left after fitting new tyres

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2008, 06:58 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car pulls to left after fitting new tyres

As title says, after fitting brand new tyres, my scoob now pulls quite a bit to the left and I find it very annoying. It didn't do it with old tyres, however I noticed that the left one is more worne out on the outside, but figured is because I drive it mostly alone and is a LHD car.

I only drove about 50 km but can really feel it. Tyres were all balanced before putting them on, an tyres are Goodyear Asymmetric.

Anybody else experienced anything like this or should I go and check wheel alignment ? Or should I drive a bit more and see if it gets better ?
Old 18 April 2008, 07:15 PM
GreigRFC
Scooby Regular

alright mate

ive been having the exact same problem, ive got a MY53 STi, the car pulls quite severley to the left. front left tyre was scrubbed on the outside edge and front right was worn on inside edge. got the tracking done three times in about 6 months, and had a full geometry alignment, although the problem just reappeared after around 500 miles each time. had the suspension bushes and track rod ends checked, both were fine. every garage ive been to say they dont seem to know what it could be. :wonder. even subaru say that it can only be the tracking each time, but i know for a fact that no car needs the tracking done that often.

sorry that i have no answer to ur post, but im very interested to see if anyone knows what is wrong.
Old 18 April 2008, 10:53 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

I know power steering sometimes can have this effect, I mean car pulling to the left or right a bit, but my problem is that with the old tyres it went very nicely straight.
I had also wintertyres on the car before I fitted the new summer tyres, but my winter tyres are not so good and car was pulling to the right severly, but I knew that as the weight of the winter tyres were not the same. So it worse a try in you case I suppose, but I guess depends on the tyre quality...I'd expect a top tyre like the f1 asymmetric to be really good. I'm really hoping maybe it will go away in a few hundred km, if not I see no choice but to try the wheel alignement - the only problem is that I had in the past so many bad experiences that I'm a bit afraid to do it....(most times car ended up being worse after the allignement...)