17's Or 18's

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 10:40 PM
GSUS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17's Or 18's

Hi guys,

It's about time i bought some new wheels and tyres. Just asking your views on whether i should stick with 17's or go a little bigger with 18's?

What are the pros and cons between the sizes? Plus what trye and size would you recommend?

I drive a classic 2000 plate UK Impreza, currently running on standard shocks although i was thinking of changing the springs to Eibachs at the same time as the wheels upgrade.

Regards

GSUS
Old 22 February 2008, 01:49 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I've not had personal experience of a classic on 18"s, but every other car I've driven on 18"s has handled worse, had a poor ride and tramlined badly. They can look awesome, though!

I think you can get away with 18"s on a newage, but I don't think many people have said they work well on a classic, unless looks are your main concern.

You may have clearance issues too, depending on tyre width, but you will need to check with a classic expert first (i.e. not me!)
Old 23 February 2008, 07:35 AM
GSUS
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, thats the sort of info i'm after really. My car is running on 17's at the moment and with the thought of putting a set of Eibachs on as well perhaps sticking with the 17's is the best bet.

Anyone with experience of classics on 18's out there?
Old 23 February 2008, 10:49 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there, to be honest I would stick to 17's. 18's will leave you with an extremely low profile tyre definetly not suited for britains sh*te roads. I'm even thinking of going back to 16's as I drive my car quite hard on some occasions...and you dont have time to worry about going over potholes then. Purely up to you and the way you intend to use the car I suppose, but my advice, if its one or the other, go for 17".

Alan
Old 23 February 2008, 12:14 PM
GSUS
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,

I think i'm gonna go for the 17's, with the Eibachs dropping things a little and like you say Alan the state of the countries road 18's would be far too harsh for me.
Old 23 February 2008, 12:38 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the eibachs as well, they're spot on...dont lower the car too much which is good. Just remember to get the alignment done after all of this.

Alan