Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Bad Humming from rear

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2002, 07:16 PM
viper23
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my scooby in september last year it a 99 5 door hatcback if this has any relavance. Ever since I bought it there has been a bad humming noise coming from the rear passenger side .I took it to Burrels at Doncaster and they told me it was tyre noise and this was a common fault so i put up with it until the 45000 mile service ,they then informed me it was a bad wheel bearing and changed it(under protest)the noise is still there and is now worse than ever and Burrels are still saying its tyre noise...anybody any ideas cos it drives me nuts!!
Old 20 January 2002, 08:02 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

I have a 5 door MY98, which also seems to suffer from the same problem. I think mine is the rear wheelbearing as when traveling on a straight road if you move the steering from side to side when its making the noise it changes sound. I have also heard reports that the 5 door is supposed to transmit more road noise.
I am going to report it when it goes in for its next service.

Stuart
Old 25 January 2002, 04:01 PM
The Woodman
Scooby Regular

Red face

You both might be interested to know I have had five separate wheel bearings fitted under warranty to my MY99 Wagon. The fifth time the dealer finally decided (under duress) that it might be the hub that was oval. They then ordered a sleave from from Subaru UK and then told me it was a common fault and that sleaving the hub was the cure!? Why five bearings before they realise!! Seems to have fixed the noise - at the moment? Mind you it has only been on 3 months and the longest a bearing lasted before was nine months (one of them only lasted a month!!)

If you persist like I did you'll probably get this mod done. Although I think it was more to do with the mounting cost of fitting 5 bearings that was worrying them!

(By the way the wheel in question was also near side rear.)

[Edited by The Woodman - 1/25/2002 4:02:51 PM]