Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2007, 07:01 AM
Maccers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Question

I am about to replace the standard rubber hoses on my car with braided hoses, and at the same time replace the dot5 fluid with Millers - i guess this is silicone based?

I am planning to let all the old fluid run out or be forced out, ie empty the system, then fill up with the millers, then bleed air out. I have done brakes before on other cars, but always just bled them, never replaced the whole lot.

Will allowing all the fluid to run, then adding the new stuff cause any problems? Air gaps or anything?
Old 14 August 2007, 08:29 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Don't think it's silicon based which is just as well as silicon brake fluid is rubbish. More details of Millers. Some info on silicon brake fluid on the AP Racing website.

The Millers stuff is a dot 4 extreme duty, conventional brake fluid, fine for competition use where you're happy to change it annually, not so good for road use. Personally unless it's an all out competition car then I'd go with a good, branded, dot 5.1, Castrol Response for example.
Old 14 August 2007, 10:02 AM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham with 620BHP & 530lb/ft @1.5bar boost on road fuel.
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Maccers
I am about to replace the standard rubber hoses on my car with braided hoses, and at the same time replace the dot5 fluid with Millers - i guess this is silicone based?

I am planning to let all the old fluid run out or be forced out, ie empty the system, then fill up with the millers, then bleed air out. I have done brakes before on other cars, but always just bled them, never replaced the whole lot.

Will allowing all the fluid to run, then adding the new stuff cause any problems? Air gaps or anything?
DOT 5.0 IS a Silicone based fluid.
Dot 5.1 is not silicone based and it's what we would recommend.