Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Yokohama Advan Sport, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2007, 05:21 PM
Dubster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokohama Advan Sport, any thoughts?

Hello,
Has anyone got these fitted? are they any good, really wanted to know if they are a good all round tyre wet and dry . I am not looking for track tyres, but something I will get a few miles from.

Your thoughts would be appreciated . I have done a search but it hasnt come up with much.

BTW they are 225/40 x18" for a Newage '05 WRX
Thanks

Ian
Old 12 August 2007, 04:34 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

hey ya pal...

cant really comment on those tyres, but if ur looking at Advan tyres... i use the Advan Neova AD07... best i used and definitely gonna get them again next time round....

dont know if they sell them in the UK tho.... i've also used Eagle F1's... toyo-Rs....
Old 13 August 2007, 08:13 AM
Dubster
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that, its not one I have come across before, but I will have a look into the Neova's and see what they are like.

Thanks
Ian
Old 14 August 2007, 02:53 PM
Rob.VXD
Scooby Regular

Dubster,

Am having Advan Sports fitted tomorrow to replace Yokohama A048's (bit wet for them now).

I'm only down the road from you in Loxwood if you want to take a look.
Old 15 August 2007, 08:45 AM
Dubster
Scooby Regular

Rob, it would be great to hear how you get on with them. What made you chose the Advan Sports if you dont mind me asking, as there does not appear to be a lot of people using them. You mentioned a swap from A048's, as its a bit wet so is this a Winter swap? (I know its August!! But it may as well be December).
Do you go to the Sussex or Surrey meets? I have been to a couple of the sussex ones but was thinking of trying the surrey one to see what it is like (as long as I dont have to work...Booo).
May be able to catch up and have a look.

Thanks

Ian
Old 15 August 2007, 10:17 AM
Rob.VXD
Scooby Regular

Yup, it's a fair weather swap.

A048's are Fantastic in the dry, OK ish in the damp, but in the weather we've got at the moment, rather skitish! So they're going into storage until next Summer.

Why choose Advan Sports? well:

Had Toyos' which are a great all round tyre, both wet and dry, never twitched once, but... the sidewalls are too soft. Where the tyre and the alloy meet, I kept getting dirty great chunks of rubber taken out (my daily commute takes me through some roads with soft verges that accumulate debris that can easily cause damage - over Farley Green, up to the A25)

So, something with a decent wet weather grip. Thought of Paradas, but couldn't get them in 235 40 18's (225 seems to be the limit for them) so went for the next one up which takes you into Advan territory, so there's the choice. (plus, and you may think I'm a tart for this, I wanted to keep my alloys and tyres from the same manufacturer )

Yep, I get to the Surrey meets, but haven't made it to a Sussex meet yet...

Last Sunday was the Surrey meet at the Fairmile in Cobham. Get yourself signed up on Surreyscoobies and have a look in the Gallery, was a good turnout!

Finally, if you're at a loose end this Friday, the Fairmile is having its annual Car Club BBQ, we have a stand there!

Hope to see you soon!

Rob.
Old 19 August 2007, 05:37 PM
Rob.VXD
Scooby Regular

The verdict so for...

Not as grippy as the A048's in the dry, but then that's no surprise, not a lot beats them, other than super glue.

Still scrubbing them in, so hopefully the grip will improve. They do slide nicely without squealing. Traction from a standing start is very good.

Grip in the wet is on par, if not better than Toyo's.

Finally, they do seem to have a fair bit of bounce when dealing with uneven roads.

Overall, Pretty damn good.