Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

40 slot discs and mintex pad review!

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2007, 12:08 AM
charlieparker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 slot discs and mintex pad review!

Hi.

I am writing this review for several reasons really. I never normally write them but on this occasion feel compelled to do so. You see, I recently needed to replace both the front and rear discs and whilst at it replace all the pads as well, after looking into several options including subaru standard discs and pads ( I have subaru 4 pots with 295mm on front and 2 pots 266mm (vented) on rear ) I decided to give ebay a go and ordered these.

they cost £129.99 plus £15 delivery, whilst at it ordered some mintex racing pads for the front and rear for..well...not alot either really.

It has now been a month or so on and they are just superb. I cant believe it, no fade no warping no noises, an easy upgrade all round. from the minute you get in the car to the minute you get out you can expect sharp responsive braking, I'm not talking on and off button braking but certainly a great improvement on standard stuff, and for so little money I think all in around £200ish mark.

I know that alot on here would more than likely need 8 pots and huge 19" wheel scraping disks and calipers to be satisfied, but for my x plate impreza GT, with only a full HKS decat exhaust, Greddy profec A boost controller, Bailey DV12 BOV and upgraded air filter its more than enough to stop the thing.

I'm sure i will get many more miles of happy times out of them.

Charlie
Old 14 July 2007, 09:04 AM
jbabrh
Scooby Regular

hi, i am also looking into upgrading my totally shot front and rear discs but sadly mine are the dreaded 2 pots anyway i have also orded the exact same ones but for 2 pots so i am very pleased to here how you have got on with them. mine were only £109 for the discs plus shipping and i already have green stuff pads sat in the shed from a previous scooby which never got done the guy has very good feed back and everyone appears to be over the moon with these. i too only have a standard terzo and have no need for monster brakes especilly here in jersey and the state of mybrakes at the minute bin lids would be an improvement anyway thanks for the post its give me peace of mind as we all know ebay has a lot of **** on it, cheers rich.

Last edited by jbabrh; 14 July 2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 14 July 2007, 11:12 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie, are those the QH ones? got a set for my pug 306 just need the mintex pads now

Tony
Old 14 July 2007, 11:27 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by jbabrh
hi, i am also looking into upgrading my totally shot front and rear discs but sadly mine are the dreaded 2 pots anyway i have also orded the exact same ones but for 2 pots so i am very pleased to here how you have got on with them. mine were only £109 for the discs plus shipping and i already have green stuff pads sat in the shed from a previous scooby which never got done the guy has very good feed back and everyone appears to be over the moon with these. i too only have a standard terzo and have no need for monster brakes especilly here in jersey and the state of mybrakes at the minute bin lids would be an improvement anyway thanks for the post its give me peace of mind as we all know ebay has a lot of **** on it, cheers rich.

EBC Greenstuff pads are not recommended for Subaru's at all!
Old 14 July 2007, 10:00 PM
charlieparker
Scooby Regular

have to admit I have read several reviews of EBC green/red/... stuff pads and I have heard some real horror stories from instantly warping disks to lasting only a 1000 miles. it fell down to ds2500's or 1155's really, and im happy with the choice i made for the money.

i know this is naughty but here is the link.

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX GROOVED BRAKE DISCS FRONT REAR P1 on eBay Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles

worth mentioning that they sent me the 277mm fonts by mistake...the next day i had on my doorstep the right ones and they took the 277mm's away.

awsome service there guys.

Last edited by charlieparker; 14 July 2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 15 July 2007, 12:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by charlieparker
have to admit I have read several reviews of EBC green/red/... stuff pads and I have heard some real horror stories from instantly warping disks to lasting only a 1000 miles. it fell down to ds2500's or 1155's really, and im happy with the choice i made for the money.

i know this is naughty but here is the link.

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX GROOVED BRAKE DISCS FRONT REAR P1 on eBay Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles

worth mentioning that they sent me the 277mm fonts by mistake...the next day i had on my doorstep the right ones and they took the 277mm's away.

awsome service there guys.
Yup thats where I got mine for my peugeot

Tony
Old 15 July 2007, 01:20 PM
Chid1
Scooby Newbie

Charlie,

Are these the Mintex Xtreme pads???
I'm just looking into new brakes for my 03 PPP WRX. Like you I want something practical and useable.

I've got the Xtreme pads in my RX7 and find them so effective for both fast road and track with the only draw back being excessive brake dust something which I can live with.

Very rare I would recommend something so well but as of yet I don't know how they would hold up in the Impreza.

Trending Topics

Old 15 July 2007, 02:04 PM
charlieparker
Scooby Regular

These are the ones mate. I agree they are a little powdery. but they work from the start of the journey to the end.

hope this helps.

Subaru Parts at Graham Goode Racing

oh and welcome to the board.

Last edited by charlieparker; 15 July 2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 15 July 2007, 06:41 PM
Chid1
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the link saved me some time and for the welcome.
Old 15 July 2007, 06:45 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

ive got the tarox grooved discs and mintex 1155 on my car and they are crap, they fade in 5min and the discs warped in 1 week! if u want serious brakes go for AP racing, stoptech, D2 racing or something similar
Old 15 July 2007, 11:30 PM
charlieparker
Scooby Regular

k18ller.

I think you missed the point on this thread completely.

I never wanted on/off brakes, just another option even if only slightly better than standard option of replacing all my brakes for NOT A LOT OF MONEY.

Here in this thread are my findings after a month of use in the wonderfull weather we have been having.

If i wanted mega brakes I would of paid for mega brakes.