WRX 04 - Need brakes for std wheels

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2007, 12:08 AM
silverstealth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX 04 - Need brakes for std wheels

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone had an opinion, or personal experience, of any brake upgrades that fit standard WRX wheels (17's)? Don't really want to upgrade them as well at this point.

I'm considering just starting with s/s lines, new fluid, new discs and pads - current standard setup just feels so horrible (my Audi stops 10 times better and that carries over 300kg more!). What do people think of that - will that improve feel enough?

However, I would consider going the full hog if that is what gets recommended. She's my second car, so doesn't see as much day to day activity but she needs to stay drivable for day to day. My track day usage seems to be growing...

I did look at getting some used STI brembos, as they were lovely on another scooby i tested. But they seem to require new/bigger wheels too. Can anyone confirm that? Also, anyone have any decent pics of the Prodrive brakes? From the few very small/old pics ive seen they look a bit ick! Which is surprising coming from alcon.

Don't intend to go over 300bhp ish on the engine front - currently have 260 with PPP. If i get to 300ish and serious bhp is still calling I will prob just go out and get me an FQ400 as a starting point!
Old 19 June 2007, 10:14 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I think that the AP 330mm 6 pot kit (5570 caliper) will fit under the standard 17" WRX wheel. Go to AP website and print off a template for this (make sure the print is scaled correctly when printing) and try in your wheels. The big Brembos are huge and need STi wheels for clearance. I have the AP kit with Pagid blue pads and can horrify friends at trackdays with late braking, huge fun well worth the £2k.
Old 19 June 2007, 11:36 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

Godspeed 335mm big brake kit will fit and won't let you down under normal use. K-sport 335 kit is good VFM and will stay good all day on the track.
You will be able to trash the Brembos on a track day and they won't fit under std WRX wheels.
Old 19 June 2007, 01:19 PM
silverstealth
Scooby Regular

Hi Mother Theresa & D1CCY,

Thanks for the responses. Will look at the AP template.

Mother Theresa - Are you saying that you believe both the Godspeeds and K-Sport kit fit under the standard wheels? Do you actually have them or know someone that does?

Have either of you ever had the standard brakes & remember what they were like (wooden, dead, but with decent initial bite - if no pedal feel, but dont seem to have more progressive bite without a very big stomp)? How do your setups feel in comparison?

Do either of you know anyone who has just a discs, pads, lines upgrade?
Old 19 June 2007, 01:19 PM
silverstealth
Scooby Regular

Hi D1CCY,

Thanks for the response. Will look at the AP template.

Have either of you ever had the standard brakes & remember what they were like (wooden, dead, but with decent initial bite - if no pedal feel, but dont seem to have more progressive bite without a very big stomp)? How do your setups feel in comparison?

Do either of you know anyone who has just a discs, pads, lines upgrade?
Old 19 June 2007, 01:52 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Lines, Fluid, uprated discs and pads will give you quite a lot of improvement and would probably be all you need for road use. I have no experience of upgrading WRX brakes but have done lines, fluid and DS2500 on gold brembos and it was a good improvement. Trouble is that I suspect this would not really be up to a lot of fun on track.

I had to go to Pagid blue from DS2500 in my APs when I gave them a hard time. I still have cooling issues so my next track day I'm removing fog light covers (STi so nothing behind them) and have cut a 3" square hole in the plastic mudguard shield to get a dose of cool air behind the wheel arch.