Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

calling ap brake experts

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2001, 12:40 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, i have the option to buy a nearly new set of ap 4 pots. these though are some kind of competition kit as the callipers are a brushed siver/ally colour and have blue "ap racing" stencilled on them. i have yet to see them in the flesh but was wondering if anybody can shed some light on exactly what they are. they are about 10 months old and are paired with 330 x 28mm grooved disks. any guidance re pictures on the web would also be brilliant.
cheers
matt
Old 26 December 2001, 05:33 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Try starting here

http://www.apracing.com/car/caliper/index.htm

...the picture on this page has some silver calipers in it
...and go to the bottom menu item on the right hand side - "Application Guide" or similar

Old 26 December 2001, 05:43 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Matt, those are racing calipers. Excellent though they may be, they do not have a durable finish (imagine what that ally will look like after a few months of winter salt) and neither are they fitted with dust-sealed pistons to keep out the cack.

Racing brakes are fine if you take the wheels of and clean them every 50 miles. If not, stick to road spec calipers.

Richard.
Old 26 December 2001, 09:17 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that guys. ive now found out a little more. the callipers are model no CP3720 and i finally managed to find them on AP's cryptic site. they're a little different than described in that they are actually an anodised gun-metal grey colour with shiny polished lines ground into them.
The seller has since found out that with the bells and bracket needed to fit a scoob, his kit would work out expensive. instead he's got me the same discount through some rally team/outfit making them come in at £1300 as a kit. apparently theyre £2000 otherwise which makes that a good price. theyre aluminium (weigh 2.2 kg) so they be lighter than the black cast.
However Hoppy i take your point and it doesnt mention anywhere on the spec page about dust seals. surely these puppies have some kind of seal (group a cars must need them too and hardly a significant weight saving!)
you said 50 miles beween services- is that out of neccessity? i wonder what service intervals ap would recommend for normal road use. anymore thoughts anyone. apparently they're the same type as Stef has/had (i say apparently)
Old 27 December 2001, 12:01 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

AP would tell you not to use them on a road car as they will be illegal!

Dust seals are not used in competition stuff as they are not needed and would markedly alter and complicate "servicing demands".

Competition kit does not need to worry about whether the pistons get damaged or fluid contaminated due to the lack of seals.

Mike.
Old 27 December 2001, 12:52 PM
matt b
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Mike. the cons are beginning to outweigh the pros methinks