Squeaking front wheel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2007, 10:46 AM
WayneG555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking front wheel!!!

Hey there guys.

My front passenger wheel has started to squeak when turning right. I've had it jacked up and there's no play in the wheel bearings so don't think its this. Is there anything else that it could be?

Thanks
Wayne
Old 04 June 2007, 07:25 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had a whole host of bizarre and strange noises coming from the front of my RB5 (70 k on clock) and practically replaced the whole front suspension system at a cost of god know what. Guess what it was in the end? BTW, the bearing were checked by numerous good well trusted mechanic mates, and none of them suspected the bearings. It wasn't until I jacked it up one day and the front wheel almost feel off then the penny dropped.

A mate of mine said to me whenever he gets a new car and it's noisy for whatever reason on the front, he always changes the bearings. 9 times out of 10 this usually fixes the problem.

Just a thought

Phill
Old 04 June 2007, 08:33 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WayneG555
Hey there guys.

My front passenger wheel has started to squeak when turning right. I've had it jacked up and there's no play in the wheel bearings so don't think its this. Is there anything else that it could be?

Thanks
Wayne

You wont feel any play while the drive shaft nut is tight. Losen it up three or four turns and then check for play. Had this on mine and same as above no one could find any play.Until the drive shaft was undone and then the bearing was totally shagged

Last edited by Turbotits; 04 June 2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07 June 2007, 08:25 PM
WayneG555
Scooby Regular

Well the squeaking was still there today but even louder!! I took the wheel off and tried to tighten the axle nut but it was already tight. Checked for play in the wheel and there really is none!! Do you still reckon this could be the wheel bearing?

Wayne
Old 07 June 2007, 10:17 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Tightening the centre nut has no affect on the bearing, There not the tappered type. Loosen the centre nut and then check for play. There should be No or very little play even with the outer c/v nut undone.
Old 09 June 2007, 11:13 PM
brianrb5
Scooby Newbie

Wayne, I had my RB5 in the garage today with the exact same problem, a squeal at low speed that varies when the wheel is turned... Once up off the ground it was apparant that the wheel wasn't freely rotating, and on closer inspection the caliper has seized on the disk, not enough to a problem yet but needs sorting, so I've got some pistons etc on order and am gonna get them to strip the caliper down and rebuild it. Should be ok and hopefully won't need a new caliper.

Thanks to Len at Subaru 4 You in Newbury...

Hope this is of some help

Bri

Last edited by brianrb5; 09 June 2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Added a line