Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

BRIDGESTONES.....???

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2007, 11:05 AM
EIRE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRIDGESTONES.....???

Just a quick question for you guys out there why do all impreza's come with bridgestones and why if they are the best tyre for the car do scooby owners never replace old worn bridgestones with new ones its always goodyears,toyos etc... Even the new RB320 comes with pirelli' corsa's... And one final question i have a new wrx sl and the tyre rating is 87W on oe bridgestones when most people on here recommend at least 91Y..any opinions..???
Old 12 April 2007, 11:47 AM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

The RB doesn't have them because it has 18'' wheels.

Some people will swear by the Bridgestones,possibly the best choice of tyre for 'serious' driving and track days etc....I can't drive to save my life so consequently would rather run a car on bare rims than RE070's,I hate them
Old 14 April 2007, 12:39 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced my old RE070's with new RE070's
Some people like them and some dont, they give more feedback than most other tyres but in doing so can make it a bit more "interesting" due to the lack of flexability in the sidewalls.

WRX's dont have the same weight as the STI which is one of the reasons you dont need a higher weight rating, but saying that, higher is better
Also, if you like a brand of tyre that you have had before and dont like the tyres that are on there, then change, toyos and F1's are popular and very good tyres, they have plus and minus sides, F1's and toyos can suffer from the walls cracking (splitting) so if you do go for them, ensure you get the reinforced sidewall versions

Tony
Old 14 April 2007, 07:10 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be a serious driver then

RE070's alll the way in winter and summer, on normal roads and on track ... I dont think you can beat them.
Old 14 April 2007, 07:29 AM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

I`ve just replaced my RE070s with RE040s. The reason being, I couldn`t get hold of any 070s for love or money.
I never had any problems with the RE070s throughout winter etc. So I must be a serious driver like Dunc, .

Anthony
Old 14 April 2007, 11:04 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bug Eyed Peas
I`ve just replaced my RE070s with RE040s. The reason being, I couldn`t get hold of any 070s for love or money.
I never had any problems with the RE070s throughout winter etc. So I must be a serious driver like Dunc, .

Anthony
Anthony - Elite Tyres have them in stock iirc

I got my last set of 4 inc wheels from someone that downgraded/changed on a new STi from a guy on here CraigMac. Price for 4 tyres and wheels was the same as 4 tyres and they were brand new

It also gave me a spare full set of wheels for track use and I could get rid of the space saver

The only thing to remember with the RE070's is to get the geometry set up properly as with standard **** factory settings which are all over the place, the car grabs cambers, uneven surfaces and is downright dangerous to drive IMO. With proper settings, they grip, then grip some more, then when you get some heat into them, grip more and more.

My last set did 15000 plus 5 track days, 13 laps of the ring, a sprint and there is still life in them:

This was after the track day at the end of feb which was in the wet in the morning and dry in the afternoon:

Old 14 April 2007, 11:19 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

echo the comments of making sure the geometry is correct, i was surprised that my car on REO70's didn't tramline as badly as some of the scaremongers on here make out. yep , it gets a bit twitchy as they wear low, but certainly not anywhere near dangerous.

this made sense when i had Zak at Mocom do the geometry and it appeared it had been corrected already great tyres, although i did go all gay and not risk them in the winter

Trending Topics

Old 14 April 2007, 11:32 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Zak redid my geometry on wednesday this week changing it from the prodrive settings to a slightly more track based set up and it is now even more awesome. Will test it properly at the ring next week
Old 14 April 2007, 11:37 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Zak redid my geometry on wednesday this week changing it from the prodrive settings to a slightly more track based set up and it is now even more awesome. Will test it properly at the ring next week
what's it feel like on the road? tempted for a slightly more agressive set up myself (goddam understeer)
Old 14 April 2007, 11:40 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

understeer gone.....turn in is crisp as anything and can put power on much earlier in a corner and it keeps turning, sitting the back down (and sometimes slightly out ) ready for the next bend.

Zak did say it would tramline slightly more but I havent found that.

Did a 500 mile round trip to Wales on thursday and was still smiling when I got home.

I would go for it
Old 14 April 2007, 11:43 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
understeer gone.....turn in is crisp as anything and can put power on much earlier in a corner and it keeps turning, sitting the back down (and sometimes slightly out ) ready for the next bend.

Zak did say it would tramline slightly more but I havent found that.

Did a 500 mile round trip to Wales on thursday and was still smiling when I got home.

I would go for it
sounds good, does it trade the front grip by making the back a bit twitchy?

tbh i only find it understeers when i'm pushing tooo hard (only do road driving) and even then the back can kick out a bit.

not a bad thing, just different to my old classic that just predictibly understeered!
Old 14 April 2007, 11:48 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I havent found it twitchy, but having said that I like the quick change of direction that it gives with the RE070's.

Summer is the perfect time to try it