Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

tires on AWD car!

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2007, 08:58 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires on AWD car!

this seems to be a re-occuring problem ive seen while in the UK, people will constantly replace 1 or 2 tires on an AWD car

this is a huge no-no!

all tires on an AWD car must be the same size, width, brand, pattern and treadwear(meaning if you have 5000 miles on a set and get 1 flat, you must replace all 4) it says this in your manual, if not you may damage the tranny, and center diff!

please for the sake of your car, change all 4

please post up if you do the same... and post up if you think i am a no good lying yank *** hole who secretly works for the tire companys and that im just trying to CON money from you ! either way, let me know.

steve
Old 21 March 2007, 09:07 PM
HowieG
Scooby Regular

Tosh!

Here in the UK we have roads that are not all straight (as you know). That means that virtually all of the time the wheels are all travelling at different speeds to each other.

How will the transmission know whether you have different wear on your tyres or are going round a bend? Or indeed different tyre pressures. My guess is that it cant!

So don't worry.

A good reason for having even tyre wear is that it will give consistent handling in any given conditions.

I say replace those that are worn out and don't worry.

Howard
Old 21 March 2007, 09:14 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

read your manual... subaru wrote it for a reason.... and why does everyone here think we only have straight roads?
Old 21 March 2007, 09:29 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I don't think america has just straight roads.

I change like for like tyres and I am getting my dad to do the same. He has just changed to 4 toyo T1R with only the rears needing replacing. But these where Bridgestone RE050's
Old 21 March 2007, 09:37 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
I don't think america has just straight roads.

I change like for like tyres and I am getting my dad to do the same. He has just changed to 4 toyo T1R with only the rears needing replacing. But these where Bridgestone RE050's

thank you
Old 21 March 2007, 09:40 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

No problem.

I don't really know what some brits have against Americans to be honest. I like you guys, especially your tuning abblities - nasioc
Old 21 March 2007, 10:13 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx_yank
this seems to be a re-occuring problem ive seen while in the UK, people will constantly replace 1 or 2 tires on an AWD car

this is a huge no-no!

all tires on an AWD car must be the same size, width, brand, pattern and treadwear(meaning if you have 5000 miles on a set and get 1 flat, you must replace all 4) it says this in your manual, if not you may damage the tranny, and center diff!

please for the sake of your car, change all 4

please post up if you do the same... and post up if you think i am a no good lying yank *** hole who secretly works for the tire companys and that im just trying to CON money from you ! either way, let me know.

steve
OK, just read my owners manual and it does not tell me to replace all 4 tyres when one is damaged.

as mentioned

"How will the transmission know whether you have different wear on your tyres or are going round a bend? Or indeed different tyre pressures. My guess is that it cant!"

due to cornering and stop start journeys, the diffs deal with the constant changing velocities of each wheel. So we in the Uk do not seem to suffer this problem.

It may be down to the over zealous lawyers trying to avoid lawsuits that subaru US is covering their back.

however i have been told the reason to only travel short distances on the space saver is to allow the transmission to cool, this is caused by a transmission wind up as the rolling diameter is different.
Old 21 March 2007, 10:33 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

.........and we have TYRES on our wheels.
Old 21 March 2007, 11:46 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the best roads i've ever driven were in the States... off there again in three weeks.... drving from Denver to San Francisco..... via new mexico.....
Old 22 March 2007, 08:24 AM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
.........and we have TYRES on our wheels.
suck it.... i knew someone would say that....

well when i first got here, i had 2 rims stuck on my front wheels and 2 differant wheels on the back(my lugnut key broke halfway through) and i had to drive it to a quick fit like that and my tranny made a horrible noise the whole way, and it felt like i had an exedy/ACT puck clutch and my leg wanted to fall of when changing gears, thats how hard it was to puch the clutch in... take that for what you will, on the new manuals it is pg 4-11 there is a boxed out warning.
Old 22 March 2007, 09:12 AM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx_yank
suck it.... i knew someone would say that....

well when i first got here, i had 2 rims stuck on my front wheels and 2 differant wheels on the back(my lugnut key broke halfway through) and i had to drive it to a quick fit like that and my tranny made a horrible noise the whole way, and it felt like i had an exedy/ACT puck clutch and my leg wanted to fall of when changing gears, thats how hard it was to puch the clutch in... take that for what you will, on the new manuals it is pg 4-11 there is a boxed out warning.
Thats a bit different from slightly different from worn tyres front to rear or left to right. The transmission is designed with differentials to allow each wheel to run independently of each other. If it didn't and the diffs were locked, you'd never turn a corner.
Keeping same brands/types is good practice on any car as each tyre will react different and make the car unpredictable in handling.
But other than that, change a tyre when needed.
Old 22 March 2007, 12:34 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Its only when the rolling circumference is significantly different that there is a problem.

I'll bet in normal driving your fronts and rears wear at different rates.

The LSDs in the Scoobs will allow for some small differences in rotation speeds, its only when these allowances are exceeded that you might get a problem.
Old 22 March 2007, 05:28 PM
HowieG
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong - I love America.

How.

But you've got to admit, there are more than your fair share of straight roads!
Old 22 March 2007, 07:15 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HowieG
Don't get me wrong - I love America.

How.

But you've got to admit, there are more than your fair share of straight roads!
yes, its called city planning and highways, same as here, we have backroads that would make you cry

thats the hawks nest road near my hometown in NY... who would have thought its not a city right?
Old 22 March 2007, 09:36 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

That's looks like one sweet road!

Is it the fabled 'twisties' ?