Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brembo disc/bell advice needed please!

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2001, 09:53 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Discovered standard discs pretty low last month and thought brakes that work would be a nice change anyway, so found a Brembo 4-pot caliper/disc/bell kit going. Ideal. Less money and available quickly. Don't do tracks and I'm not hard on brakes.
Once the garage fitted it this pm they found there isn't enough stud left (about 5 turns) because the bells are thicker than standard, so they took it off again. Turns out it's a known problem with said kit, later AP bells are slimmer, but these are 450ish a set with discs.
Made some quick calls and seems options are:

1. Install longer studs. Group N or Graham Goode?
Is there any problem doing this? Does running a slightly wider track have any downside?
2. Fit decent wheelnuts (standard ones thread stops 2mm or so short of the inner side and are soft as poo apparently) either alone or with 1.
3. Skim 3mm of outside face of the bells, which appears about 10mm thick, alloy. Is this a mad idea? will the wheels be too close to the calipers? Assume not as with AP bell.
16" 5-spoke '98s.
I now have about a weeks worth of original disc wear left to sort it, any advice will be appreciated greatly.
Jerry. ps I know it serves me right for being 'thrifty'.
Old 07 December 2001, 10:01 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jerry,
I had the same kit, I took the bells to a machine shop and had 4mm milled of off the outside of the bells, They are 12mm thick on the kit, the original disc is 6mm thick, I rang Pete at Scoobysport, he reckoned it wouldn't cause a problem so long as you've got enough room under the wheels, I was running my00 wheels, They did finish up a bit close, but they never touched, I had a few 'stone in caliper' moments but not too serious.
Any questions, mail me.
Ron
Old 07 December 2001, 10:09 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Ron

I spoke to Scoobysport too, and I asked the chap if that was possible, he said couldn't see why not, but I thought maybe I was nuts as it was my suggestion!. Thanks for letting me know it's been done and worked ok. 5 or 6 spokes?

Thanks again.
Old 08 December 2001, 12:29 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Jerry

The Brembo bells were this thickness on their recommendation. When we switched supply to AP, they had no problems with reducing the bell thickness. They are both made from HE15 which is an incredible strong alloy.

You need a minimum 8mm of used thread and better nuts is the simplest solution.

If you can, I would fit some AP discs/bells. They are far superior to the, now discontinued, Brembo ones.
Old 08 December 2001, 12:46 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pete

I've just got these so I don't really want to shell out another £450 just yet, but your advice is much appreciated.
If the 5-spokes fit over them I may try reducing the thickness and getting new nuts. I assume the AP's would also bring the wheels in closer to the calipers too.
Don't recommend the longer studs idea then?