Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Advice wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2007, 08:23 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice wanted...

I've an 04 WRX with the standard 17's on and it's done 20,000. I was washing the car yesterday and noticed the front two Bridgestone's haven't much tread on the edge of the tyre but the rears are fine, this has prompted three questions. (I want to get them changed ASAP).

1 - Is the alignment wrong?

2 - Where's the best place in South/West Yorkshire (price wise) to get two new ones from (for them to purchase and fit)?

3 - What's the opinion on mixing tyre makes? I've always liked to keep the same ones all the way around my cars.

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 05 February 2007, 04:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Inner edges tend to wear on the front if you have a fast road geometry set-up as the extra camber tilts the tyre to enhance cornering grip. Swapping front to back every 5k or so evens up wear. If the outside is wearing then you are either cornering too enthusiastically or yes, you may need your alignment checking (keep an eye on your pressures too).

Tyres4Less on Tong Road in Armley, Leeds will supply at trade prices if you take the tyres elsewhere for fitting. The best tyre you could fit supplied by them would be Vredestein UltraC, which can be as little as £68 per corner and are awesome (90% of RE070 dry grip with F1-GSD3/T1R/T1S rivalling wet performance).

I'd always try and keep the same tyre all 'round, but if there's loads of life left in the rears, stick them on the front to wear them out with a new pair on the rear, and then get another pair to complete the set later.

Ask in the WYIOC Events forum for someone in Yorkshire to fit your tyres, there's usually a couple of lads with contacts.
Old 05 February 2007, 07:37 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate! I'll pop over to the WYIOC forum.