Hello & Why no wide wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2006, 01:30 PM
DelMonte
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello & Why no wide wheels!

First of all, Hi!

Just parted with my R32 Skyline after 6 years of Joy. Family has now made me choose a more sensible car, hence an 01 Bug Eye GX Sport (AT!!!!). AT is cause I'm getting old (well 27!) and have back aches when driving, the auto helps me out

Anyway - on to the point.

I love the flaired arches on the new age, but why on earth did Subaru put 15" Alloys on my Bug Eye?

I've done some searching, and it seems that no-one dares go wider than 8" width on their wheel choice, most upgrades are 7.5".

I ran 17x9" on my liner, and they filled the arches perfectly. I ran slightly narrower tyres up front, and tramlining wasn't a problem, but I know on 4x4 cars, you have to have the exact same rolling radius all round so no mixing and matching widths and profiles (well it's true for the GTR).

So my question is this - what width can I get away with without any arch mods, and what offset can I get away with, so the arches are filled out?

I think the standard offset is 42 (anyone?) so going down to, say a 30, is this within a safe range?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Last edited by DelMonte; 14 November 2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 15 November 2006, 06:44 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15"s are only fitted on the GX. The WRX and STI's all get 17"s

The std offset is ET53

Unfortunatly there isn't a great choice of wheels in the correct offset that are wider that 8". Loads in 7.5" and 8"

Going wider than 8" may give you clearance problems with the arch or strut.

Changing the offset will affect the handling and loading on the suspension and hub.
Old 18 November 2006, 11:00 AM
DelMonte
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know the standard 15" alloy wheel width?

Searched the net to no avail!

Cheers