Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear wheels "welded" on tight!

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2001, 06:54 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

The other day I tried to rotate my front and rears and also give the rear disks a clean off. The only problem is the rear alloys seem to be "cold welded" onto the hub.

I removed all the bolts, had the car well clear on a trolley jack but couldn't remove it! I tried everything - wiggling it, standing on it, hitting it with a block and hammer, kicking it!
It won't budge - I can only assume that with the heat the insode of the alloy has cold welded to the steel hub. I tried some 3-in-1 oil to see if that would loosen the contact point.

How can I get it off (didn't try WD40). Is it going to need a car garage to loosen it??
Old 21 November 2001, 07:00 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Kempo, I don't know if this applies to you, but I had this problem with a new set of alloys. It was the paint laquer on the mounting face of the wheel that had glued itself on. Had to use brute force.

Richard.
Old 21 November 2001, 09:21 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

Put a length of wood under the car, one end on the inside of the wheel rim, the other end sticking out on the other side of the car. Cue sledgehammer!

Have someone ready to catch the wheel & be very careful not to knock the car off the jack. Use an axle stand if you can as well. Don't hit it when anyone is under the car.

It's caused by corrosion between the wheel & hub, especially on the centre "boss". Clean this off and put a smear of copper based grease on both surfaces to stop it happening again.

Paul