Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2001, 02:52 AM
wrx22b
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi guys
i've got a problem with my new 17" BBS rims on my MY00 wrx.

im currently using 6mm spacers at the front and the rims are still rubbing the brake calipers (4 pots). its only rubing sightly but it gets worse when the brakes are hot.I've ordered thicker spacers.
Is it dangerous to used spacers.

the BBS rims has got an offset of 55. they are identical to the one off the australia delivered liberty b4.
Old 17 November 2001, 10:44 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Welcome to ScoobyNet

I'm not sure what car you're driving. MY00 WRX? Is that the same as a UK turbo? The 22B in your log-in is also a bit confusing!

But assuming your car is the same spec as a UK00, I think you've got the wrong wheels. 55mm off-set won't help (52-53 is optimum) but spacers are not a good idea, and you can only have a couple of turns of thread left on the wheel nuts. Not good

The brakes really need at least 3mm of clearance or there's a danger they'll catch on hard cornering due to movement in the bearings. The last thing you want is a caliper stuck in your spokes

Strongly suggest a new set of wheels.

Richard.
Old 17 November 2001, 02:17 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

The BBS rims for the Oz B4 are not designed to clear 4 pots AFAIK.

The B4 has the same ROTORS as the Impreza, but the calipers grabbing them are much thinner 2 pot ones.

Again, AFIAK re-the wheels, but the caliper info is for certain. For example there are quite a few aftermarket wheels that fit the B4, but will not clear the 4-pots (which are a popular bolt-on mod).

Don't go with big spacers as you risk more than just a wheel catching on a spoke, but the whole thing coming off.
Leaving the wheels as is will result in obvious major problems, and driving with damaged spokes is, obviously, not a good idea.

Not good news, but hope this helps.
Old 18 November 2001, 12:17 PM
wrx22b
Scooby Newbie

Wink

thanks for the advices guys.
i guess i have to definitely take the rims off. its ashame because the rims were a nice match plus they were very lite too. i was thinking of trading them in for 5zigen 5zr Copse in 17" but i was told they were very heavy rims something like 22-24 lbs each. does the weight for the rims really matters that much?

thanks sam

Old 18 November 2001, 06:44 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Sam, 22-24lbs is average for a 17in wheel - anything under 10kg is light for a normal road wheel

Unsprung weight is always important, but bearing in mind a wheel and tyre combo is about 20kg, a couple of kgs won't make a huge difference unless your suspension is sha99ed. Also watch the wheel off-set as too low an off-set increases effective unsprung weight by pushing the wheels out wide and increasing leverage on the strut. On UK cars, off-sets below 50mm can also rub the rear arches, depending on tyre width. Incidentally, not all tyres of the same nominal width are actually the same width

It also depends on your roads - on smooth tarmac unsprung weight dosen't effect handling hugely as there's not that much rapid suspension travel, but on a bumpy road it's the difference between staying on and keeping out of the bushes

Richard.