Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

cheap 8 piston brakes

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2006, 08:06 PM
stavros
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap 8 piston brakes

I just found these 8 piston brakes and 330mm discs.
Price around £700.

Does anybody have experience with these taiwanese brands?

http://www.k-sportracing.com/brake.html
http://www.d2racing.com.tw/brake.htm
Old 18 August 2006, 08:36 PM
white
Scooby Regular

They both look to be the same caliper to me

Either way, and please don't think I'm being snobby, I would view these as a 'budget' brand. Personally when it comes to important item like this I feel you get what you pay for. IMO I don't think the words 'brakes' and 'cheap' should be used in the same sentence. Save up a bit more and by a more recognised and proven brand to avoid the disappointment of spending your money on these only to find you wish you hadn't in the first place.

Either way it's your choice at the end of the day. Good luck.
Old 19 August 2006, 12:10 AM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

think k-sport had a bit of a stand at ten of the best this year selling various bits there stuff looks nice enough but no idea how it performs be interested to know but i feel them same i'd rather pay bit extra and have a recognised make there's a few group buys going on now for brakes but fair play to u if u do take a chance to try something different let us know how they perform
chris
Old 19 August 2006, 08:59 AM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

Yes, I seen the stand at TOTB. I agree with the above, but new manufacturers have to start somewhere. Depends on where their engineering knowledge and parts are sourced from I suppose as to how good the quality is going to be.
Old 19 August 2006, 09:29 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not? Seems a good price. OK I'd love a set of AP's but at the end of the day it seems mad to spend £1500-£2000 on a pair of calipers and 2-piece discs. I wholly agree that you shouldn't be cheap when it comes to brakes, but to me that means not using no-name pattern brake pads when you're lapping the 'Ring. Spending £700 on a brake kit is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. You can buy a car for that sort of money -let's keep things in perspective!

Put it this way - I had a set of 'Hi-Spec' 4 pot billet calipers with 325mm 2-piece discs, i.e. alloy bells and brackets, quality grooved ventilated rotors etc and I never had a single problem with them. They were undoubtedly the best brakes I ever had and they cost me £650. Now some Scoobynetters might look down on these cheapo brakes but let's be honest, brakes are NOT a complicated device. Anyone who's broken down and serviced their own calipers as I have recently, knows that there's not a lot to them apart from the casting or machining of the actual caliper body. Just use braided hoses and 5.1 fluid and half the battle's won already. The rest is just a case of putting the right bits together.

I would say that if you pay £1500-£2000 for a pair of new 4-6 pot discs and calipers you have paid too much in terms of the materials used and the time and skill it takes to make them. No doubt that will be a controversial view as lots of Scoob drivers have spent exactly that kind of money and want to think they've had good value. But I'm just calling it how I see it.

So I'd say YES get them. Notice also that they take standard motorsport size pads and discs. If you look up the prices of the replacement parts for these sorts of brakes at motorsport suppliers, the bits cost a lot less than the price of a full 'retail' kit.
Old 19 August 2006, 10:44 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

more pistons does not = more powerful brakes.

There is more to brake calipers than meets the eye (caliper material, caliper stiffness, ability dissipate heat etc etc). What may begin as a 'cheap' price may get expensive if you start warping rotors etc.

Somebody has to try the products out though.

Where did you see them advertised for £700 btw?
Old 19 August 2006, 01:23 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

I paid £1350 inc. for brand new AP 6 pots, 335mm discs, alloy bells, braided hoses, ferodo DS2500 pads and a litre of DOT5.1 fluid.....that's nicely less than £1500-£2000 and worth every penny!

Trending Topics

Old 19 August 2006, 02:24 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

I paid £1350 inc. for brand new AP 6 pots, 335mm discs, alloy bells, braided hoses, ferodo DS2500 pads and a litre of DOT5.1 fluid.....that's nicely less than £1500-£2000 and worth every penny!
Thats a really decent price you paid there matey... I just had a quote on AP 6-pots with the biggest discs they do (as I got 19"'s) and the figure was £1800! Ouch I said to the gentleman telling me the price... and we never spoke again, lo!

May I ask, where did you pay that price for yours??
Old 19 August 2006, 02:49 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There's a group buy in it's early stages just now. Add your name if you're interested.
Old 19 August 2006, 03:04 PM
ericdutchgttdriver
Scooby Newbie

Default D2 brakes

I did ask many supliers of these brake system about any info how they are in use but no one could answer . The australien importer didnt even answer my mail about that.

On the dutch extreme machines site i did also ask about D2 brakes and many did tell me not to use it because it will not work as a good brand 4 ore 6 pot brake like stoptech ore other ones. Because its a combination of the brakes and tires if they brake as a good 8 pot your tires will not stand it and will slip around over the wheels, and other did tell me that it wont work because 8 pot need a lott of brakeoil to work and so u would have to change your brakemaster cylinder to gett it work.

Gr. eric

Holland
Old 19 August 2006, 04:16 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alex_00s
Thats a really decent price you paid there matey... I just had a quote on AP 6-pots with the biggest discs they do (as I got 19"'s) and the figure was £1800! Ouch I said to the gentleman telling me the price... and we never spoke again, lo!

Roger Clark Motorsport sell the AP 6 pot kit with 362mm x32mm discs (the biggest for an Impreza) for £1384 + VAT (£1626 inc VAT), same price as the 355mm kit. Check their online shop.
Old 19 August 2006, 05:09 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Cool, got Roger Clark on standby
Old 19 August 2006, 05:10 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Does Subaru WRC use K sport, D2Racing, Wilwood. Compbrake or Hi Spec? Do the F1 teams?

Do the above use AP or Alcon? Ask youself if there's a reason?

No, brakes for shopping car are not rocket science, anyone can design a 4, 6 or 8 pot caliper, cast it in alloy and flog it. But do they do extensive testing to opimise the grade of alloy to use, do they do FE analysis of the casting to reduce deflection (immediate spongy pedal), optimise heat transfer etc etc. I'm sure none of the first list above do. I'm sure both of the second list do.
Old 19 August 2006, 05:18 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Speak to Ian @ http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/ - He carries stock of the black 6 pot calipers. I placed the order and had the full kit 2 days later

The discs are Ian's own, not genuine AP's. That said, Ian offers a 1 year warranty on his discs and that includes track use...AP do not warranty their discs. They look cool filling the wheels
Old 19 August 2006, 05:33 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Does Subaru WRC use K sport, D2Racing, Wilwood. Compbrake or Hi Spec? Do the F1 teams?

No, brakes for shopping car are not rocket science, anyone can design a 4, 6 or 8 pot caliper, cast it in alloy and flog it. But do they do extensive testing to opimise the grade of alloy to use, do they do FE analysis of the casting to reduce deflection (immediate spongy pedal), optimise heat transfer etc etc. I'm sure none of the first list above do. I'm sure both of the second list do.

Good point... I think like many have said b4... why compromise on something as major as brakes! If ya gonna spend £700 or £900 on anchors, why not push the boat out and spend that extra grand for the piece of mind that you got the dogs danglies stopping your car?!
Old 19 August 2006, 06:25 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed

LOL I knew this would start a debate. Actually lots of club racers DO use Wilwood because that is where the value is - absolutely zero pose value, but they do the job. Don't even think about comparing F1 equipment to your road-going Scooby. How about a pair of Dino Paoli fast pit guns - one left handed and one right handed as used in F1 - £1400 EACH. PLUS VAT. Maybe I'll just use my Halfords 2-foot long torque wrench and my Draper socket set instead.

OK someone managed to get an AP kit for under £1500, well done on getting it that cheap. I'm sure the APs etc are very technical and well designed, and if you offered me some for nothing I'd have 'em without thinking about it. They are proven in competition the world over. But at the end of the day, they are a caliper body with some holes in for fluid flow and pistons, some rubber seals, a few bolts, a pair of centre bells and outer rotors. That is not £1500 worth of stuff, nor are they hand-carved by a 90-year old craftsman from billet titanium.

As mentioned also above, SOMEONE has to be the first to try them out and hunt out the value wherever it is. In the end this brings costs down for all of us.
Old 20 August 2006, 12:21 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them My motto is buy cheap and pay twice....you only buy quality once!
Old 20 August 2006, 02:36 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them My motto is buy cheap and pay twice....you only buy quality once!
Totally agree. I just think that some things are a fair price and some aren't. For £1500 I want brakes that never fade, make zero dust, discs and pads that last 100,000 miles and are cheap to replace when they do wear out. Maybe I'm expecting a lot, but when I can get perfectly good OMP road and track brake pads for £30 whilst seemingly everyone on Scoobynet is spending £150 on Pagids...it just seems that there's a lot of overkill going on when choosing brakes. I've said enough anyway.
Old 21 August 2006, 01:15 PM
stavros
Scooby Regular

I will order the K-SPORT brakes and put some good pads on them.
I will let you know the results as soon as I have them on.
In the case I do not like the brakes I can sell them in zero time since there are many people out there that would like the looks.
Old 21 August 2006, 01:19 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

what setup you currently running?
Old 21 August 2006, 06:47 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Stavros... FYI

I've seen a few banners for K-Sport, no real feedback about them from anyone, but I hear (from a very good sourse) that D2 are VERY popular in Japan!

If I was gonna go for a gamble I'd pick the D2 IMO.
Old 21 August 2006, 08:44 PM
stavros
Scooby Regular

Currently I have original four pot calipers, TAROX discs and pads and piston springs. The brakes are ok for now but planning for more power soon.

D2 and K-SPORT are excactly the same thing, If you visit their webpages you will see that they do the same parts but with diferent colours.

Does anyone know where can I buy upgrade master cylinder for the MY99 Sti?
Old 21 August 2006, 09:15 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

With brakes you need to take one big thing on board, how are the pistons sealed, alot of these CNC'd or race spec (like the Willwoods) don't use dust seal which is fine dry countries or on the race track, but in the real world we grit the roads every winter and not everyone has the ability to strip a race caliper down every couple of months to make sure the pistons aren't corroding or seizing due to contamination.
Old 22 August 2006, 09:48 AM
stavros
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know where can I buy upgrade master cylinder for the MY99 Sti?
Old 22 August 2006, 09:57 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jim litten
With brakes you need to take one big thing on board, how are the pistons sealed, alot of these CNC'd or race spec (like the Willwoods) don't use dust seal which is fine dry countries or on the race track, but in the real world we grit the roads every winter and not everyone has the ability to strip a race caliper down every couple of months to make sure the pistons aren't corroding or seizing due to contamination.
Good call.
Old 22 August 2006, 05:17 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Is that a fact about the Wilwoods Jim??

My toss up of brake upgrades was Wilwoods front and rear or AP front only... if as you say the Wilwoods dont have dust seals then they arnt the best option (as I like many others dont wanna strip down the calipers to clean them).

Everyday it seems that there really isnt much alternative to the AP's... it seems for these lower priced brakes theres alwways some sort of compromise.
Old 22 August 2006, 05:21 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Buy everything else for your car on a budget, but spend that extra bit on brakes
Old 23 August 2006, 12:34 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

My toss up of brake upgrades was Wilwoods front and rear or AP front only... if as you say the Wilwoods dont have dust seals then they arnt the best option (as I like many others dont wanna strip down the calipers to clean them).

Everyday it seems that there really isnt much alternative to the AP's... it seems for these lower priced brakes theres alwways some sort of compromise.
You know the AP option will work well.

You can only hope the Wilwood option does.

I know what I would do
Old 23 August 2006, 09:25 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Criss

Buy everything else for your car on a budget, but spend that extra bit on brakes

You're not wrong!
Old 23 August 2006, 10:12 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

cheap doesnt necessarily mean crap though. If I had 700 notes lying around I would certainly try them. If you use the basis that they are made in a country where labour is dirt cheap then they probably work out more expensive than the ap stuff if you see what I mean.

Quick Reply: cheap 8 piston brakes