Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Prodrive 330mm upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2006, 08:50 PM
FISHBOY
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive 330mm upgrade

I have recently invested in a 55 plate PPP WRX sportswagon and to be honest am quite dissapointed with the performance of the standard 294mm set up. I suppose I may have been spoilt due to coming from a heavily modified leon cupra running the 4pot Brembo Gran Turismo kit with DS2500s and the fact that my new beastly has a little more weight.

Speaking to Subaru about an upgrade, I have been advised that my warranty would be invalidated (2 years left!) if I put a set of aftermarket Brembos on even though they put them on a number of the big fin STI versions.

Anyway my question - is the Prodrive (Alcon) 330mm kit on par with the Brembos or worth the £1500 asking price? Can a Ferodo DS2500 pad fit on that caliper?

Help would be most appreciated.
Old 14 August 2006, 08:52 PM
FISHBOY
Scooby Newbie

Also - if anyone has had this kit - were you allowed to upgrade to braided hoses under warranty as they dont seem to come with the kit??
Old 14 August 2006, 09:23 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

It's generally accepted that only that part of the warranty which is affected by mods will be cancelled by the mods.

For example mod the exhaust and there's a risk it can change the fuelling in the engine so the engine warranty is toast. But say fit different springs to the suspension and that can't affect the engine so the engine warranty will still be OK.

So with that logic fitting aftermarket brakes might affect the warranty on...... can't think of anything directly affected. Just the warranty on the brakes then.

But it's not written down anyway. Who did you speak to at Prodrive? Your warranty work will be done by a Scoobie dealer. If you have a tame dealer, then try asking him if he'd be happy to do warranty work on, say your engine, if you had aftermarket brakes fitted. 9 times out of 10 he would.

Says me with a MY04 STi and AP 6 pots......

Not tried the Prodrive Alcons but I would expect them to be significantly better than the gold Brembos. The gold brembos are fairly high end road stuff but the Alcon's are a pukka competition brake kit, albeit compromised somewhat by the one piece discs in my opinion. But still better than the brembos.

Personally I'd look at AP 4 pots if I was you. Lots cheaper than the Alcons but more importantly will fit under your wheels which the brembos definately won't.

Last edited by Chelspeed; 14 August 2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 15 August 2006, 11:02 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Alcon upgrade on my P1 and they are worth every penny! I now have a STI PPP, and although the Brembos are great I prefered the Alcons. On the same strech of road I could leave my braking to the last minute with the Alcon fitted P1. A lot of people might think this is down to the different models ( the P1 being lighter and stiffer suspension ) but approaching a roundabout at the same speed in either cars, give me the Alcons anyday.
Old 16 August 2006, 08:04 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

IMHO of Subaru brakes - the Alcons gave by far the best pedal feel with least initial movement of any brake kit I have driven in the Impreza. The AP six pots gave the most stopping power by far. Only for 17in wheels though.

If you change the brakes you may find the whole wheel subassembly out of warranty as heat from the brakes could be blamed for a wheel bearing failure for example, or excessive bush and ball joint wear.

Just a thought.
Old 16 August 2006, 08:14 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally, i think that being able to stop is much more important than a warranty - after all that is worth diddly squat if the front of your car is stoved in due to lack of stopping power.

having said that, I would say that the standard brakes will be fine for most stuff apart from track - maybe changing the pads to ds2500 will cure any pad fade and changing fluid will reduce fluid boiling, to the point where extra size discs and calipers might not be needed.

Obviously, IMHO