Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

EBC brakes - changed to DS2500 pads

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2006, 06:32 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC brakes - changed to DS2500 pads

I had EBC red stuff pads on my OE discs up until a few months ago and they were great (my02 STi).

On my service, I swapped for EBC grooved and dimpled discs and put new Red Stuff pads on as the discs were worn. Since then, the noise was horendous. Even when the brakes were not pressed, there was a hissing noise that must of been caused by airflow through the grooves. The noise under breaking was also annoying. It got to the point that I didn't want to drive with the windows down because of the noise.

Today, I replaced the pads with DS2500 (having read a previous thread on here) and the noise has completely gone. hurray !!!!!!!!!!

On observation, the EBC pads have chamfered edges and I beleive that this must be the reason for the noise (in combination with the grooved discs).

My advice to anyone who has this problem is to replace the pads as I have done.

One question....
The shims were obviously discarded when my brakes were changed to EBC (as EBC don't use the shims). Do I need to purchase new shims or am I OK running without on the DS2500, as there is no squeeling ???

Cheers

Neil
Old 23 September 2006, 07:32 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swapped to DS2500's today, and also noitced the noise had gone. Was going to post to tell people to do the same but you beat me to it.

I was running STi Brembos, with Brembo pads.
I think the Brembo pads must be harder and hence the noise. They certainly don't dust much compared to DS2500's (which I had on another setup).