Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Fix for squealing rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2006, 01:28 PM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fix for squealing rear brakes

My rear brakes have recently started squealing when they're not being applied. The noise stops as soon as I touch the brake pedal, but comes back soon after it has been released. It also appears to lessen when I go around a corner, and only starts after I've been driving for a while.

I've tried stripping down the brake, cleaning it up thoroughly and re-greasing the backs of the pads which made it go away for about a week, but it soon started again.

One thing that worries me is that the wheel that is squealing the most appears to be slightly warmer than the other - I'm not sure what temperature the disks should be reaching after normal light road use, but they are definitely warm to the touch even when the fronts are cold (but the fronts are APs so are much better cooled).

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Matthew
Old 14 June 2006, 01:52 PM
killa
Scooby Regular

What year car is it? when I spoke to someone about this they mention rust on the disc's etc..
Old 14 June 2006, 01:57 PM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

It's a UK MY95, with 115k miles on it and Mintex 1144 pads. The disks aren't rusty (on the swept surfaces anyway) as it's used daily.

I know the Mintex pads can be noisy, but these have been on for a while (about 1/2 worn) and the problem has only just started happening

Matthew
Old 15 June 2006, 08:08 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Take the pads out and give everything a wee overhaul,make sure the calipers are working correctly and nice and free,get some copper grease on the moving bits, de-rust everything and smear the rears of the pads with some copper grease too!! This should do the trick!!
Old 16 June 2006, 08:21 AM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

Been there, done that - it made it better for about a week then it started again, which makes me think there is another problem somewhere