Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

ABS in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2006, 09:57 AM
philrsi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS in the snow

OK I know it's summer but have to think ahead for this type of thing.

I live in the country, half way up a hill that as far as the council are concerned doesn't exist (the pot holes would swallow a smart car!) so we don't see a gritter, didn't even get a farmer with his snow plough this year. That's possibly a good thing as they leave a thin layer which can be more dangerous than a few inches, but anyway...

So far I'm used to going down the hill (one way is really steep the other is fairly steep, I have seen a Ford Probe go past my house on it's roof!) in a FWD non-abs car and don't have too many problems with slidding as I can control it OK. I'm guessing we're all familiar with the principle of abs and that snow reduces the friction between tyre and road.

So has anyone had experience driving in similar conditions?
How does the abs cope?
Can you turn it off? Pull out a fuse or something...

Thanks. Sorry about the ramble!
Old 24 May 2006, 10:45 AM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Using the brakes with toyo 'summer' tyres in the snow is worse than useless. The abs triggers and you seem to gain speed, yes you can pull a fuse so that you have a little more control. Locking the wheels will also allow snow to build up infront of the tyre and help slowing. Mud and snow/ snow/ winter tyres make a huge improvement when it comes to the white stuff.

Hakon
Old 24 May 2006, 12:30 PM
JohnS

Much better to run on winter tyres for a few months. I fitted a set of Michelin Alpin tyres this winter to my Sti. Transformed the car in the snow and ice.

I was able to brake and stop about midway down a slope which was covered in snow and ice. A 1.0 polo with skinny tyres couldn't stop (from a slower speed), went all the way down the hill and crashed into a parked van on the other side of the main road.

Even if you pull the ABS fuse, you won't be able to stop much (if any) faster unless it's fresh deep snow. At least with winter tyres (they are speed rated up to 130mph) you can at least get fantastic traction and much better cornering speeds in adverse weather conditions.

John
Old 24 May 2006, 01:23 PM
philrsi
Scooby Regular

If I wasn't the first or second car down after a snow fall I probably wouldn't try. Luckily, as soon as the snow falls only one or two people have the ***** to try and use the hill I live on!