Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Stuck Rear Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2006, 08:09 PM
Harvez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Rear Caliper

Just gone to change the rear pads and having a problem, done the first side fine no problems, two minutes to do . . . .

Get to the other side then have problems, ive taking out the 12mm bottom nut to allow it to slide up but it is very stiff. So sprayed / drowned it in WD40 and went and got a drink

Came back and i cant get the caliper to slide towards me enough so i can get both the pads in to fit. The cylander is pushed right in and both pads in place, but i cant get the caliper to slide back away from the car

Ne tips as i dont want to buy a new caliper if it can be helped. I also dont want to bang nething thou and do some damage as at the moment i stand more chance of pulling the car off the jack then budgeing the caliper on the slider
Old 23 May 2006, 09:03 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without proper equipment (i.e. a commercial garage) it could be tough. I've heard of garage's putting some compressed air into the caliper to push it out, or if it's really jammed with rust some heat to expand the metal and set it free.

You could try some better penetrating oil than WD40 first. Ask at a local motor factors for some.

I wouldn't pull it hard on the cr@ppy OE jack. Better with at least a trolley and some axle stands.
Old 23 May 2006, 04:58 PM
Harvez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advise im going to have one more go at it before execpting defeat

I meant a trolly jack btw i wouldnt trust a standard jack to even lift a mm off the floor