Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

tyres on o6 sti

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2006, 04:59 PM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tyres on o6 sti

does anyone know what the tyres that they put on the 06 sti. i know they are bridgestone. but i can not find the model number. they sort of look like semii slicks on the outside edge.
thanks in advance for your help.
bryan
Old 18 April 2006, 05:08 PM
white
Scooby Regular

RE070. 225/45/17 is the size IIRC.
Old 18 April 2006, 05:12 PM
SineSTI
Scooby Regular

Yes, and they are perfect choice for this car IMHO.
Old 18 April 2006, 05:13 PM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

thanks white.
its not on the uk bridgestone website. do you have them ? are they any good?
Old 18 April 2006, 05:23 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by W 12 X T C
thanks white.
its not on the uk bridgestone website. do you have them ? are they any good?
Just had a quick look on mytyres.co.uk and on blackcircle for you now mate and I can't find them on there either. IIRC the RE070 is a bespoke tyre for the STI so that may be the problem in locating them.

I'm still waiting for my STI to be delivered so I can't comment on what the RE070 is actually like but everything I've read about them seems to suggest they provide awesome levels of grip in the dry.
Old 18 April 2006, 05:23 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Potenza+RE070

very good tyres indeed.

dipster
Old 18 April 2006, 05:27 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Just a shame they don't come in bigger size, or do they??

I'm gonna order a set of PFF7's very soon with 235/40/18 tyres on. Only one I fancy is the Toyo T1-R, but if the RE070 came in this size I would definitely go for that instead.

Trending Topics

Old 18 April 2006, 06:00 PM
JohnS

RE-070s are superb in the dry, but scary/useless in the snow. OK on wet roads, but slippery on greasy/damp roads.

Firm sidewalls give great turn-in response, but the ride is quite a bit firmer with them compared to other tyres, and the do tend to tramline on less than perfect road surfaces. Braking on less than perfect road surfaces can also be "interesting" at times.

However, on dry roads, only a set of road legal Trackday special Dunlops has bettered them. In terms of noise levels, ride quality, overall grip on a variety of road conditions, I would actually rate the Dunlop SP Super Sport Race ahead of the RE-070s. You may find they are available in a suitable size for the 18 inch wheels ?

John
Old 19 April 2006, 09:40 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

white

We did a re-evaluation of various tyres last year on the STi with 235/40x18. The 95Y Michelin PS2 came out best at the time but Pirelli have now released the tyre we wanted all along which is a Corsa Assymmetrico specially developed for the STi. I have to say that we felt the T1-R, whilst having some good features, didn't suit the STi particularly well for UK roads.

Mike
Old 19 April 2006, 11:03 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Mike,
Do you recommend the Pirelli Corsas for all model year Stis?..I'm interested in fitting them to an 04 sti with ppp but on the original 17in rims...
Old 20 April 2006, 10:28 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

The only ones we've tried are the 235/40ZR18 for the later STi which won't fit the earlier cars without catching on full bump at the top of the front inner wings. As far as I'm aware there is only one spec that is suitable for the Impreza, all the others are designed for the front of powerful rwd cars. Don't think there is a 17" version either.

Mike
Old 20 April 2006, 12:13 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
white

We did a re-evaluation of various tyres last year on the STi with 235/40x18. The 95Y Michelin PS2 came out best at the time but Pirelli have now released the tyre we wanted all along which is a Corsa Assymmetrico specially developed for the STi. I have to say that we felt the T1-R, whilst having some good features, didn't suit the STi particularly well for UK roads.

Mike
Thanks for the info mate. I'll be looking into having the Pirelli's supplied instead of the Toyo's after reading that.
Old 20 April 2006, 07:41 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Mike, is the one for the STi different from this one: ?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....o+Corsa+System

(they seem to have the Directional in the right size but not the Asymmetric - maybe that's a US market diference)
Old 21 April 2006, 08:19 PM
white
Scooby Regular

What would you recommend?

Corsa Assymetrico all round or Corsa Directional on the front and Corsa Assymetrico on the rear.
Old 21 April 2006, 10:18 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmmm..........Are they not Pirelli on the WRC cars........

Happy RE070 user........
Old 23 April 2006, 10:40 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

white

The directional ones are designed for the front wheels of a rwd drive car and will not suit a driven wheel. Make sure any Assymetrico is at least 90 load rating otherwise it won't work on an Impreza either.

Ref Pirelli being used on the WRC cars, Prodrive have no contractual tie to Pirelli for road cars, in fact we have used tyres from Michelin and Continental if we feel they are more suitable for the job.

Mike
Old 23 April 2006, 11:58 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, can I ask a question?

My WR1 is due for a set of tyres. You mentioned earlier about Corsa Assymmetrico for the my06 & I assume that this tyre would not fit the WR1. I have read other posts where you seem to agree that the Toyo T1Rs are not particularly suited to the STi on UK roads. I was never overly impressed with the standard PZero Nero tyres, but the first year of driving was on extremely suspect suspension settings, which I only sorted out last year, thanks to Powerstation. The Neros also appear to have a high whine at motorway speeds. I have heard some good things about the Eagle F1 GDS3, assuming the cracking issue has been sorted out on the latest XL range.

Can I ask which tyres you would now recommend for the WR1? The car is never "tracked", most "enthusiastic" driving is on challenging A & B roads in the UK & Isle of Man.

FWIW I used to own a 99my UK 4 door shod with Bridgestone SO2s. I loved the "chuckability" of that car.

Regards
Nick
Old 23 April 2006, 12:13 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Wink

Originally Posted by SivMY05Sti
Happy RE070 user........
Having experienced RE070's fitted as new to my car,I think it fair to say that more grip,less road noise and less tramlining could easily be acheived by simply running on bare rims!
Old 23 April 2006, 04:14 PM
white
Scooby Regular

white

The directional ones are designed for the front wheels of a rwd drive car and will not suit a driven wheel. Make sure any Assymetrico is at least 90 load rating otherwise it won't work on an Impreza either.

Mike
Thanks for that Mike, I'm new to the Subaru scene but I'm learning at a fast rate from the knowledge available through this forum

Looks like Corsa Assymetrico all round then

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
Having experienced RE070's fitted as new to my car,I think it fair to say that more grip,less road noise and less tramlining could easily be acheived by simply running on bare rims!
That bad eh mate?

They won't be on mine for long as I really don't like the OE 17's on the 06 STI. Set of PFF7's for me!

Last edited by white; 23 April 2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 23 April 2006, 06:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white
Thanks for that Mike, I'm new to the Subaru scene but I'm learning at a fast rate from the knowledge available through this forum

Looks like Corsa Assymetrico all round then

That bad eh mate?

They won't be on mine for long as I really don't like the OE 17's on the 06 STI. Set of PFF7's for me!
There is nothing wrong with the RE070's, if you want a demonstration ill take anyone out over some country roads in the wet, great tyre (ive slaughtered a toyota corolla T Sport in the wet on these tyres)

Tony
Old 23 April 2006, 06:44 PM
harvey one
Scooby Regular

But on a greasy or snowy road?
Old 23 April 2006, 09:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by harvey one
But on a greasy or snowy road?
Snow has the same effect on any wide tyre, no matter if people say that tyre x is better in the snow than tyre y, if your lucky we get 2 days of snow a year...
Though on greasy surfaces they are a little more interesting but you have to have the ability to not boot the car everywhere.
These tyres are probably better for a more skilled driver who wants more feel to the car, most people put too much faith into the tyre/car and not their driving

Tony
Old 24 April 2006, 04:17 PM
ronanharper
Scooby Regular

Would not recommend the RE070's.

They look great and really are awesome on the dry, but wait til you get below 60% tread - the tramlining is awful and makes you think the steering rack is hanging in bits in the car.

I had a set on my 03 STI which I got on ebay from a guy who bought a new STI and sold the tyres and wheels separate. Cant wait to get them off. Going for a set of Pff7's I think.

Old 24 April 2006, 05:16 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Bridgestones tramline like b*****ds...hate them for it...
Old 25 April 2006, 07:18 PM
harvey one
Scooby Regular

Tonyburns i think after 14+years racing and rallying i have a good idea of what a tyre can do mate and these are sh*t. So if you think these are good tyres I think you are not driving the car to its limits or the car is driving you past yours mate.
Old 26 April 2006, 12:23 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

There are certain conditions that the RE070 really does not cope with very well, the most obvious is between 0 & 5C on a slightly greasy surface with cold tyres where it's possible to get powerslides in any gear up to 4th in an 05MY STi with PPP. I don't mind that, but I can see some people proceeding to the scene of the accident quite quickly if they aren't expecting it....... This is one of the reasons we recommend changing to 18" wheels and tyres if the performance is increased

Mike
Old 26 April 2006, 12:43 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Talking

There are certain conditions that the RE070 really does not cope with very well Mike
being fitted to wheels is one
Old 26 April 2006, 06:16 PM
Sid
Scooby Regular

Aren't Michelin PS2's supposed to be the best tyre out now???

I was thinking of these or the Goodyear Eagle F1's?
Old 27 April 2006, 10:53 AM
crusher
Scooby Regular

I've found eagle F1'S to be a good allround tyre for road use...softer sidewalls might not suit some tastes...but better than Bridgestones IMHO...haven't tried Ps2's...in the past I've always hated Michelin in the wet...and especially the cold...
When I was rallying pirelli was my tyre of choice...on a P1 I found them to give up good dry performance (p zeros),...and wern't too scary in the wet...The problem is that tyres react differently on different setups/geoms...so in reality you have to dial in your setup to your tyre of choice...if you see what I mean...too expensive for most road users to try different compounds/setups...so a knowledge base such as Prodrive is invaluable..IMHO...My brother and I used to have access to tyres due to my brothers business...so I've tried a few...
Would try ps2's if I though they'd be ny good...and better than F1's pound for pound...

Last edited by crusher; 27 April 2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 27 April 2006, 08:56 PM
jrmwrx
Scooby Regular

ive now put 18,s on my spec c 05 ,after reading many posts i went for 235/ 40 a048 yoko,s no tram lining at all as with the r070 but and i put this down to the newness they feel a little nervy when pushed at first then they dig in . lets see how long they last

Quick Reply: tyres on o6 sti