Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Changing Rear discs

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2006, 02:24 PM
ally-b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Rear discs

I'm going to be renewing my rear discs soon .
Having only ever done front ones before (easy) is there anything tricky to watch for when changing the rears ? I'm thinking about the handbrake mech.
I'm reasonably competant mechanically - just never done the job before .
Its a '00 UK turbo .
Thanks ,
Al.
Old 13 April 2006, 06:57 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al, once the wheels off it's fairly easy, make sure the handbrake is off..... then remove the caliper by undoing the two bolts that hold it to the backplate, then see if the disc will move.... it probably won't, on the face that the wheel bolts to there are two small holes, these have threads in them for the specific task of removing the disc, find two bolts, and wind them into the holes.... the discs should release.... if it feels like the handbrake is binding, either tap the disc with something hard... (read.. Hammer!) or un-adjust the handbrake, this is done by removing the rubber bung on the back of the backplate, and winding the adjuster that can be seen through the hole..... i recently did mine for the first time, and i didn't need to un-adjust the handbrake.. also my00....
Once the disc is off, wire brush the shoes and that area.... then place the new disc on, but, i kept removing mine, and adjusting the handbrake til i felt it was right..... once thats done, simply re-fit the caliper. wheel etc..... and repeat on the other side!!
Old 13 April 2006, 07:30 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

If you are going screw bolts into the discs then be careful. When I did mine I adjusted the hand brake mechanism so as to slip the discs off, I then used the bolts to prize the discs off. Little did I know that a large lip of rust had formed on the rim of the drum and it caught and distorted the shoes and broke the mechanism ! Only found out the shoes were distored when I couldn't stop them rubbing on the new discs. Mega pain in the hole !

Hakon
Old 28 August 2006, 01:20 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Presumably when everything goes back on again, the brake shoes should be almost skimming the drum with the handbrake off? I.e. very close to touching but not quite?
Old 28 August 2006, 08:46 PM
GingerbreadMan
Scooby Regular

I've just done mine recently (MY00), do as RON says, his instructions are spot on.

To be on the safe side, you're better off backing off the handbrake as far as it'll go (ie. keep clicking the little cog down until it clicks no more), this will ensure you don't pull the shoes off with the disc should you have a lip.

When re-adjusting,(wheels on, handbrake off) lay underneath the car and click the cogs upwards until it clicks no more, give the car a rock back and forth and you'll hear/notice the shoes are touching. I gave the cog a couple of flicks down on both sides, rocked the car back and forth again (no rubbing) - and job's a good 'un

One of those 'suck and see' jobs.
Old 30 August 2006, 02:33 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Well I've finally got the whole lot back on again and I've got too much travel on my handbrake lever now. I basically had the adjuster wound completely shut to get the discs on. Problem is I can't for the life of me get at the cog properly! It seems to have been designed to be imopssible to fiddle with. The hub is all in the way of my hands. What sort of tool is best for this job? Pulling the cog downwards isn't too bad, but I imagine getting it to flick back upwards is going to be a mission.