Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
View Poll Results: Where to put the new/best tyres?
Yoko's (expensive) on front axel, wanlis (budget) on rear axel
80.00%
Wanlis (budget) on front axel, Yoko's (expensive) on rear axel
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Most grippy tyres on front or back??

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2006, 07:22 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most grippy tyres on front or back??

as title really, currently have a new set of wanli tyres x2 (budget, pretty crap, thanks previous owner!) and a new set of Yoko parada spec 2 tyres x2 (nice and sticky/grippy, just bought by me).

Ive heard alot of people say on imprezas put the best tyres on the back, or the back end will be stepping out quite often, whats peoples views? before its mentioned funds are too low to waste a new set of tyres (the wanli's) and buy another 2 yoko tyres.

Last edited by Ozzy_B; 10 April 2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10 April 2006, 08:45 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

i'd put the new ones on the back like you say,new ones on rear will help prevent over-steer,rule of thumb is that under-steer is safer than over-steer BUT as the impreza is set up to under-steer if you are a confident/good driver you could always put them on the front to balance the car better....thats my advice anyway,the choice is now yours...
Old 10 April 2006, 09:49 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Given the tendency for Scoobs to understeer I would want the good tyres on the front. I can cope with the back end being lively, but having the front wash out unexpectedly can be unsettling.

A word of warning whatever you choose to do. Sell the Wanli's on on eBay and buy something else. The pic below shows what happened to one on a mates car at the weekend. It was fitted new that day and did just 9 laps (10 miles) of the Blyton Park track to get into this state.

His other tyres (I am unsure of the make) had done over 8k road miles and over 50 laps of Blyton to get into a similar state.

PS. I'm not a fan of Yoki tyres either, especially 539's

Last edited by corradoboy; 11 April 2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11 April 2006, 01:48 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You most definately, & should always, put your best tyres on the front of a car. The fron axel is the one that controls steering & a significant amount of the braking so that is where the grip is always needed....
Old 11 April 2006, 06:04 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

corradoboy: thats a pretty shocking pic! I'll definatly see about getting rid of the wanli's, they wouldnt see much track action anyway but still....

I was at blyton last oct in a mates scoob and he had a similar results with a full set of new nankangs on, looked almost the same infact. The blyton track isnt the smoothest/most tyre friendly place in the world though, it just eats them!

The Yoko's are Parada Spec 2 which ive read very good reviews about so far, but i'll soon find out for myself!
Old 11 April 2006, 07:13 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

bow to the knowledge of people who may know better, but when i had grippier fronts they oversteer was bloody dangerous. nearly lost it on 2 roundabouts at not daft speed.

suspect an understeering chassis like the scoobs gets very unsettled if you swap the grip levels round.

just my 2p's worth
Old 11 April 2006, 11:56 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Quoted from a tyre website:

"However due to the front tires' responsibility for transmitting acceleration, steering and most of the braking forces on front-wheel-drive vehicles, it's normal for front tires to wear faster than rear tires. If the tires aren't rotated on a regular basis, it's also common for pairs of tires to wear out rather than sets. And if the tires aren't rotated at all, it's likely that the rear tires will still have about 1/2 of their original tread depth when the front tires are completely worn out.

Intuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half-tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more traction, and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out too. However in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the worn tires moved to the front."

Trending Topics

Old 12 April 2006, 06:47 AM
Trems
Scooby Regular

Always best to put the best tyres on the back, as not many people can control oversteer and understeer is far more predictable.

But its only really an issue in the wet or on slippy roads anyway, new tyres wont be any more grrippy than old tyres in the dry, its just safer when it rains.
Old 12 April 2006, 09:12 AM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

Always put the grippier tyres on the back.
Putting the grippier tyres on the front does cure the tendency to understeer...by adding uncontrollable oversteer!
The choice is yours.
Old 12 April 2006, 01:46 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately heat build up at the levels you will 'enjoy' at Blyton, Elvington etc will usually end up in de-lamination, especially in new tyres with loads of tread shift, and even more so in 'budget' tyres.

I did a full set of crappy (brand new) tyres in ten laps of Croft a few years ago, and will never make that mistake again.
Old 12 April 2006, 01:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Simon, I don't have a tyre temp gauge, but the pressures went up from 42 to 50psi in 7 laps at Blyton last weekend. Took 1.5mm off some Toyo's with the NSF down to its indicator and showing even wear across and noticeable graining. The rest are still OK and will be going back on when I replace the bad one.
Old 12 April 2006, 05:05 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Izzy
You most definately, & should always, put your best tyres on the front of a car
WRONG

New tyres on the rear, if the tyres/wheels are the same size.
Old 12 April 2006, 05:14 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Correct
Old 12 April 2006, 05:35 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

Cant believe anyone would put a brand new budget tyre on for a track day
Old 12 April 2006, 07:58 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

i'll be putting the better tyres on the rear axel then, cheers for te replies

Just had a chat with the boys at scoobyclinic as my car is there at the mo and they said put the better tyres on the rear aswell.
Old 13 April 2006, 01:39 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
WRONG

I stand corrected Thinking about it you're right of course. I must stop making impusive comments without the luxury of engaging the brain first... :P