Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

PSA:EBC BRAKES ARE SH*TE - BE WARNED

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2006, 11:01 PM
christoff
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down PSA:EBC BRAKES ARE SH*TE - BE WARNED

2003 STI8 - Made a terrible mistake a couple of months ago - fitted redstuff pads all round cos I thought I was saving a few quid - they munched thru and ruined my lovely brembo discs in 3000 miles!! Then went for ebc discs and new pads again all round - fronts warped after 1500 miles - tried new pads in case the break in compound could rectify the problem (yeah, no hope, I know). Now I need new front discs and pads again just to stop the horrible brake judder. Over £800 I've spent and nothing but one problem after another. Be warned people - pay peanuts, get monkey poo. Steer clear of the ebc budget rubbish. It has no place on a decent car.
Old 03 April 2006, 11:16 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Seems to be a common theme from what I have seen of posts relating to EBC stuff.
Old 04 April 2006, 08:11 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Exactly the same happened to me when had my sti 4.
Changed to oe discs and pads.....10 times better! Less noise, smoother operation, no fade, and 1/4 of the price of ebc!
Old 04 April 2006, 08:52 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Sorry I don't agree at least for your comment "EBC BRAKES ARE SH*TE ", have bought many sets of the new Yellowstuffs type R for friends with STI's, Foresters, WRX's and all are happy with their overall performance - reliability.
Of course yellowstuffs are in defferent class than redstuffs but they supposedly are more racing pad and is strange they have better initial bite and better overall behaviour at the same money!
I kept my redstuffs only few K kms so I don't have "circumstantial" opinion but i am impressed with the yellows.
JIM
Old 04 April 2006, 08:56 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My EBC ceramics have lasted well, but the discs aren't too great. Mine warped pretty quickly.
Old 04 April 2006, 09:44 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i killed good few sets of cheap standard front brakes (mainly pads)

fitted the old redstuff pads to the old standards and they lasted a lot longer

upgradeded to new drilled and grooved discs with some redstuff ceramics and found them a vast improvement on the old redstuff pads
but the discs lasted approx 1 year, they cracked and buckled outwards clipping the pads, quite scarey when i have not done any track work and they were for street use only, swapped the discs for some "blueprint" standard jobbies and i have had no problems scince....

redstuff ceramics are now approx 50% worn
Old 04 April 2006, 10:28 AM
QuattroMNC
Scooby Regular

I like Mintex C-Tech, fantastic even on standard disks, even better when you got black diamonds or brembo disks

Trending Topics

Old 04 April 2006, 10:32 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by christoff
fronts warped after 1500 miles
Discs are covered by warranty. Did you go back to your original supplier and say these discs have warped?

Any track days?

Brembo discs, were these the original disc fitted to the car?

I have Yellows fitted to my own Impreza and as Theo says, they are excellent.
Old 04 April 2006, 01:18 PM
Pilgrimage
Scooby Regular

I have Black Diamond drilled and grooved fronts with the EBC ceramic pads and whilst not great cold are pretty good when warmed up.
The pads are very hard though and have scored the discs in less than a year (apparently might be little stones getting stuck in there!).

Just (this morning) had the same fitted to the rear and i now have a horrible scraping noise which the garage says is them bedding in and rubbing of the "Paint finish". Is this likely to be correct?
Old 05 April 2006, 01:10 PM
'MC' MarkC
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Pilgrimage
...and i now have a horrible scraping noise which the garage says is them bedding in and rubbing of the "Paint finish". Is this likely to be correct?
Very likely. The scraping noise will be the rubbing compound on the surface of the pads that helps the pads to 'bed-in'. Shouldn't do it for long, get a few miles under your wheels before you start worrying
Old 06 April 2006, 09:43 PM
capita
Scooby Regular

Default ebc

had ebc green on bike - crap good bite from new lasted 2k miles , kawasaki originals 11k

put red stuff on scooby trashed to bare in in 96 miles at donnington, stds last all day there 180 miles

ebc made from straw i think or compressed sawdust
Old 07 April 2006, 10:13 AM
Carlos13
Scooby Regular

Before getting APs I had EBC grooved/spotted discs and red stuff pads. They don't last long but the performance is very good.

I now use red stuff on the rear, again they don't last but are a good budget pad that stops well.

I do mostly track work.

EBC brakes are becoming popular with Lotus owners - quite a few guys I've seen on track including a mate with a MkII Exige have upgraded to them.

I don't think they're ****e.
Old 07 April 2006, 11:38 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps it depends where you get them. Are they're old stock kicking around the distribution channel or even fakes?