Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Help, pedal to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2006, 10:50 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, pedal to the floor

Just replaced a friends pads and discs, Fiat siencento or something. The pads had worn to the backing plates and had half slipped out of their holders and were stuck between the calipers and the disc. Classic ! Replaced the lot and now the pedal goes to the floor and the braking is poor as if there is air in the system. Thing is, it wasn't like that before, could the piston have travelled too far and damaged the seal and allowed air in the system.
Any ideas...

Hakon
Old 30 March 2006, 04:44 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Have you topped up the brake fluid and bled the brakes? Checked for any brake fluid leaks?
Old 30 March 2006, 09:30 AM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

If you think there may be some air in the system, pump the pedal a few times in the evening, put a piece of wood (or similar) between the brake pedal and the steering wheel / seat and leave it overnight. If the pedal feels better in the morning you must still have air in the system.

I had this problem with the clutch on my scoob last week, did the above, noticed a bit of an improvement the next day, bled it again and did the same the following night, the following day it was perfect!!
Old 30 March 2006, 01:00 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Fluid level is fine, will have to check for leaks, were none a the time. Didn't bleed as I only pushed the pistons back enough to get the pads in.

Speedydaveb, how does the block to the pedal overnight thing work..?

Cheers
Hakon
Old 30 March 2006, 07:33 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hakon
...Speedydaveb, how does the block to the pedal overnight thing work..?
It leaves the master cylinder in the open position so if there are any bubbles in the system they float up to the top and then out of the reservoir. Works for me anyway!!

Got to change a clutch slave cylinder on a version 1 rex this weekend, the seals have gone so there is no fluid in the system!
Old 30 March 2006, 11:44 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Interesting, will give it a go
Old 31 March 2006, 04:50 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Definitely check for leaks. If the pads were very thin before changing, the brake piston would have been extended a long way and if the boot on it wasn't in good nick then you can get corrosion on the brake piston and it won't seal properly when pushed back in.

I used to have a Fiat Uno. One day I was calling round at a friends, braked to a stop and then heard a "clink". The disks were getting a little thin and the pads were don to about nothing. The "clink" was the near side front pads falling onto the road and the brake piston was resting against the disk

I'd been planning to change the pads and had the new ones and my tool kit in the car, so I changed them on the spot. It leaked a little because of corrosion on the brake piston. Was just "good enough" to drive to the dealer and buy a new piston, boot and new brake seal kit and that fixed it.

Good luck.

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2006, 09:53 AM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Thanks for the replys,

Brit in japan, seems like it might be the same thing.. pads were about to fall out

Cheers
Hakon